Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now industry mentor at Pathrise. I have helped hundreds of software engineers land their dream jobs in tech. Check out my review of Tech Mock Interview.
- What does Tech Mock Interview do?
- Who is Tech Mock Interview for?
- What does Tech Mock Interview cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Tech Mock Interview
- Alternatives to Tech Mock Interview
- How does Tech Mock Interview compare to Pathrise?
What does Tech Mock Interview do?
Tech Mock Interview is a study tool that prepares aspiring software engineers for technical and behavioral interviews. The program pairs members with professional interviewers who have years of experience at FAANG (Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google) companies and other top tech firms.
Users choose from dozens of professional interviewers and pick an expert that matches their goals. A wide variety of interview styles and topics are available, including coding interviews, system design interviews, behavioral interviews, software development management (SDM) interviews, and technical program management (TPM) interviews. In addition, each interview is tailored to match real jobs that are hiring right now. Therefore, users learn practical ways to stand out in their sessions.
Once the user selects an interviewer, they schedule a mock interview the same way they would a real interview. Then, users participate in a highly realistic mock interview. Once the interview ends, the interviewer discusses the user’s performance and offers written feedback to help them improve.
Interviews can take on many different forms, similar to the wide variety of interviews aspiring software engineers will find in the real job search. Coding interviewers ask candidates to work with data structures and algorithms, and write clean code. For software development management (SDM), candidates are asked real-world questions related to their past experiences. System design interviews ask candidates to design a simplified version of real-world services like Uber or Twitter. Interviewers for technical program management (TPM) roles evaluate how candidates manage a program’s end-to-end lifecycle on one or more teams. Behavioral interviewing experts are also available.
Who is Tech Mock Interview for?
Aspiring software engineers who are looking to improve their performance in technical and behavioral interviews could benefit from this service. The program is especially helpful for people who feel they need more help with their interviews.
What does Tech Mock Interview cost? How much work is involved?
A 1 hour mock interview costs $65-$199+. However, prices can vary as each interviewer sets their own hourly rate. Members can buy Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond packages to use as credits to book many mock interviews at a discounted rate. Packages range from $264 to $900, with up to 25% off mock interviews.
Ratings and reviews
As a relatively new program, Tech Mock Interview does not have many reviews. However, users review each individual interviewer after completing a session. So far, most interviewers have very good ratings (above 4 stars on average). One user felt their interviewer “prepared great questions and let me know how exactly the interviewer will evaluate the interviewee.” Another user appreciated that their interviewer “provides detailed suggestions on how I can improve further.”
However, some users were disappointed by their interviewer’s organization, commenting “we should get recordings” and “It would be much better if the format of interviews is conveyed to candidates” so they could prepare better. Since each individual interviewer designs their interviews, the quality and style can vary. It’s up to users to pick one that fits their needs.
The program on a whole has received positive reviews as well. They are also listed on posts like 50 Best Interview Preparation Websites and attracted interest from job-seekers on Medium and Twitter. Overall, users were impressed with the personalized mock interviews and feedback from experts.
Alternatives to Tech Mock Interview
There are a number of other programs that provide mock interviews and interview prep services similar to Tech Mock Interview.
- People seeking mock interviews with software engineers at top tech companies can check out Interviewing.io. Like Tech Mock Interview, their service pairs job-seekers with experienced FAANG tech professionals for mock interviews. You can learn more about Interviewing.io in our review.
- The interview resources Pramp and Gainlo both match aspiring software engineers with their peers or anonymous engineers for mock interviews similar to Tech Mock Interview.
- Aspiring software engineers looking for interview prep can also look into Interview Cake. This resource focuses on understanding the right way to think about and solve technical interview questions. Questions include a full solution breakdown, a gotcha list of common mistakes, and even a “what we learned” section to help users review. Learn more about Interview Cake in our review.
- Another interview prep platform, AlgoExpert hosts over 90 common data structures, algorithms, and problem-solving questions that span 14 categories and 5 difficulty levels.
- Similarly, Codebasil hosts interview questions written by software engineers from top tech companies like Facebook and Apple.
- HackerRank is another interview prep tool with questions on software engineering, data science, and even UX/UI design.
- On the other hand, CodeChef, Quastor, and Edabit provide free online communities and platforms to practice software engineering technical questions.
- The user-generated service Codewars hosts coding challenges written and published by the community similar to Tech Mock Interviews community of interviewers. Their community approach also allows aspiring software engineers to interact and swap challenges.
- Another interview resource, Coderbyte offers a mix of free and paid challenges for software engineers looking to sharpen their skills. Read more about Coderbyte in our review.
- The study tool Learneroo has practice technical questions that will likely come up in interviews. Their program is free to try, with paid memberships for greater access to materials and support.
How does Tech Mock Interview compare to Pathrise?
Tech Mock Interview is a tool that helps software engineers prepare for behavioral and technical interviews. Their service pairs users with experienced interviewers from top companies to conduct mock interviewers and provide feedback. While their program helps users with interviewers, it doesn’t actually help them look for a job or help them through the job search.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with people on each step of their job search. Not only does our curriculum cover the ins and outs of technical and behavioral interviews, but also fellows work 1-on-1 on resume and LinkedIn optimization, reverse recruiting and cold emailing, negotiation, and much more.
Mock interviews can be extremely helpful for job-seekers, so we encourage software engineers in our program to practice as often as possible. This means that people can use Tech Mock Interview alongside Pathrise to further prepare for upcoming interviews.
Pathrise optimizes the job search through 1-on-1 mentoring. Fellows in our program often see their interview scores double and their application responses triple, landing a job in only 3-5 months on average. If you would like to work with any of our mentors to land your dream job, join Pathrise.