Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering advisor at Pathrise. I work with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream job.
- What does Interviewing.io do?
- Who is Interviewing.io for?
- What does Interviewing.io cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Interviewing.io
- Alternatives to Interviewing.io
- How does Interviewing.io compare to Pathrise?
What does Interviewing.io do?
Interviewing.io is a platform where software engineers can participate in mock and real technical interviews. Users begin by practicing technical interviews with real engineers from Interviewing.io and tech companies like Google and Facebook. These are anonymous, so the engineer does not know the user’s name, background, or age (though audio is part of the interview, so the user’s voice is heard).
Once users feel comfortable with their interview readiness, they are invited to participate in real technical interviews for companies that are hiring. These interviews are also anonymous and if the user does well, they can “unmask” themselves for the employer. The interview would then count as their technical phone screen and the candidate would move onto the next step of the interview process.
Who is Interviewing.io for?
Software engineers who are looking to practice for technical interviews and those who are interested in skipping steps in the interview processes can benefit from Interviewing.io. Those who use this platform need to have background experience and skills necessary to get these software engineering jobs as the program only provides mock technical interviews, not training, solutions, or additional help.
What does Interviewing.io cost? How much work is involved?
Due to COVID-19, Interviewing.io has changed their model and now all practice interviews are free, but interviews with companies cost money. These interviews cost between $100 and $200 depending on whether they’re algorithmic or systems design and whether the user wants an interviewer from a specific company.
Ratings and reviews
There are not a lot of reviews online for Interviewing.io yet, since the company is still fairly new – it was created in 2018 and was in a closed beta for most of that time. Some reviews online are from interviewers, which means they are likely affiliates (paid partners advertising for Interviewing.io), so they are positive.
An interesting review online reported that an Interviewing.io user went through 3 practice interviews and then had trouble scheduling additional interviews. This user didn’t see any other options for at least 2 weeks. They were also stuck with only 4 real companies they could sign up to interview. Of course, the companies are limited to those that pay Interviewing.io for access to the platform, but it seems like the “better” companies (Google, Airbnb, etc) are locked off unless users are at a certain interview skill level. In this case, the user writing the review was in the top 25%.
Alternatives to Interviewing.io
For software engineers interested in practicing technical interview questions:
- A good option is AlgoExpert, which is a platform where software engineers can practice questions that cover a variety of interview topics. Get 15% off using the promo code: Pathrise. Learn more about AlgoExpert in our review.
- Created by a former Google software engineer, Interview Cake is a study tool that teaches people the right way to think about technical questions so they do well in interviews. Read more about Interview Cake in our review.
- Leetcode is probably the most well known alternative, but they do not provide mock interviews as much as just interview questions.
- Coderbyte offer a mix of free and paid resources and challenges for software engineers looking to practice their skills. Read more about Coderbyte in our review.
- HackerRank is another common alternative with software engineering technical interview questions.
- If you are looking for technical questions directly in your email, Daily Coding Problem is a newsletter that sends 1 problem a day and the solutions for those who subscribe.
- Software engineers can use the tracks offered by Educative to brush up on skills or practice for specific-language interviews.
- Edabit is a study tool where users can practice technical questions they might see in interviews.
- For people looking to prep with real world problems, CodeKata provides challenges that mimic requests from real tech companies.
- Codewars is a user-generated alternative, where all of the challenges are written by the community and CodinGame makes coding challenges more fun by gamifying them.
We compiled a list of resources to practice software engineer interview questions that you can use to decide the best one for you. You can also check out our list of 93 software engineering interview questions from top tech companies to practice.
How does Interviewing.io compare to Pathrise?
Interviewing.io provides mock interviews alongside an opportunity-matching platform for software engineers with experience. They do not provide any technical or behavioral interview help to their users in the program. In addition, Interviewing.io is free for the candidate, so they can only be matched with companies who pay to be on the platform. Since the company is so new, they likely have less companies connected to them than similar software engineer marketplaces.
Pathrise is a full service organization, working with candidates through all stages of the job search to enhance their soft skills and develop strategies that can help them in the future. We help candidates find the best possible opportunities for them and then help optimize their resumes and online profiles, prepare for technical and behavioral interviews, and negotiate to ensure they end up with compensation that is above industry average. We represent the candidates, which means that we can help connect them with any and all companies, and we never cap the number of opportunities candidates can find.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and young professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows receive 3x as many responses to their applications and their interview performance scores double.
If you want to work with any of our advisors 1-on-1 to get help with your any aspect of your job search, become a Pathrise fellow.