- What does AlgoExpert do?
- Who is AlgoExpert for?
- What does AlgoExpert cost?
- Ratings and reviews of AlgoExpert
- Alternatives to AlgoExpert
- How does AlgoExpert compare to Pathrise?
Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering advisor at Pathrise. I work with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream job.
What does AlgoExpert do?
AlgoExpert is a paid platform where software engineers can practice technical interview questions (get 15% off using the promo code: Pathrise). The team picked 90 common data structures, algorithms, and problem-solving questions that span 14 categories and 5 difficulty levels. Users can write in 7 different languages, using an in-browser coding window to write and run code.
There are 2-part video explanations that accompany each question, broken up into a conceptual overview of the algorithm, including how best to approach, implement, optimize, and analyze the problem. Then, they give a walkthrough of the code in Python.
Who is AlgoExpert for?
Software engineers who are looking to practice technical interview questions for their first tech jobs can benefit from AlgoExpert. The program focuses on questions common to these assessments and can provide extra help for software engineers who have less experience in data structures and algorithms.
What does AlgoExpert cost? How much work is involved?
Users can choose to pay $85 for AlgoExpert, which includes access to the 90 interview questions, video explanations, a certificate of completion, and more. Or they can choose SystemsExpert, which is $60 and includes a course on systems design and 6 interview questions. Users can choose to pay for both AlgoExpert and SystemsExpert for $125 (on sale from $145).
We have partnered with AlgoExpert, so you can get 15% off if you use the promo code: Pathrise.
Ratings and reviews
Reviews for AlgoExpert are mainly positive, though many come from affiliates. Some people were disappointed that they only had 70 questions, but since then, they have added 20 more questions and a full section on systems design as well as videos to more fully explain data structures.
Users do feel that the videos on AlgoExpert are well-produced and helpful for learning steps to solving that particular question. But, others mention that there are often videos explaining these types of questions that can be accessed for free on YouTube. Many people recommend combining Leetcode and AlgoExpert to study more fully for interviews.
It also appears that they do not offer refunds, which has frustrated at least one user who requested a refund the same day as making the purchase.
Alternatives to AlgoExpert
For candidates interested in practicing technical interview questions:
- Created by a former Google software engineer, Interview Cake is a study tool that teaches people the right way to think about technical questions so they do well in interviews. Read more about Interview Cake in our review.
- Leetcode is probably the most well known alternative. They have 1000+ questions, with a robust discussion board around each one, and optimal solutions.
- Similarly, HackerRank is another alternative with software engineering technical interview questions. A lot of companies use HackerRank for their technical assessments, so some software engineers prefer to practice with that platform so they can feel more comfortable in their interviews.
- Coderbyte offer a mix of free and paid resources and challenges for software engineers looking to practice their skills. Read more about Coderbyte in our review.
- Learneroo is a study tool that software engineers can use to practice technical questions that will likely come up in interviews.
- Those looking to participate in mock interviews with software engineers at top tech companies should check out Interviewing.io. Learn more about Interviewing.io in our review.
- Pramp and Gainlo are other resources for software engineers looking for mock interview prep with their peers or anonymous engineers.
- For people looking to prep with real world problems, CodeKata provides challenges that mimic requests from real tech companies.
- Software engineers can use the tracks offered by Educative to brush up on skills or practice for specific-language interviews.
- If you want technical questions directly in your email, Daily Coding Problem is a newsletter that sends 1 problem a day and the solutions for those who subscribe.
- Codewars is a user-generated alternative, where all of the challenges are written by the community and CodinGame makes coding challenges more fun by gamifying them.
- You can also check out CodeChef and Edabit for free online communities and platforms to practice software engineering technical questions.
We compiled a list of resources to practice software engineer interview questions that you can use to decide the best one for you. You can also check out our list of 93 software engineering interview questions from top tech companies to practice.
How does AlgoExpert compare to Pathrise?
AlgoExpert is a good tool for software engineers who do not feel comfortable with data structures and algorithms. They can receive extra guidance via recorded video on the steps to take in order to succeed in these common technical interview questions. However, they do not offer any help for other types of technical questions, behavioral questions, resume optimization, or other soft skills. In addition, they do not have a place for users to ask questions directly to the experts.
Pathrise is a full service organization. Not only do we work extensively with software engineers on their data structures and algorithms, through technical workshops, 1-on-1 lessons, and mock technical interviews and challenges, but we also help them enhance their soft skills so they are confident in all aspects of the job search.
Fellows in the Pathrise program work with their mentor to optimize their resume and online profiles, find the best possible opportunities, prepare for and practice technical and behavioral interviews, and negotiate to ensure they end up with compensation that is above industry average. All of the workshops and 1-on-1 sessions are done live, via video chat, so fellows can ask questions and work directly with their mentors.
Practicing technical challenges is an important part of the job search for software engineers, so we recommend using AlgoExpert in conjunction with Pathrise to ensure you are confident in your interviews.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows receive 3x as many responses to their applications and their interview scores double.
If you want to work with any of our mentors 1-on-1 to get help with your any aspect of your job search, become a Pathrise fellow.