Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering advisor at Pathrise. I work with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream job.
- What does Coderbyte do?
- Who is Coderbyte for?
- What does Coderbyte cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Coderbyte
- Alternatives to Coderbyte
- How does Coderbyte compare to Pathrise?
What does Coderbyte do?
Users create a profile where they are rated on the following areas: programming language abilities, data structures, and algorithms. The rating order goes from beginning to expert. Users can move up through the ranks by solving challenges with good scores. The challenge topics correlate with the amount that the user’s ranking increases – for example, solving medium challenges will get your data structures rating up because these challenges require more data structures to be implemented (e.g. binary trees, queues, matrices).
Who is Coderbyte for?
What does Coderbyte cost? How much work is involved?
Some of the tutorials and challenges on Coderbyte are offered for free and the rest are part of a paid membership. Users can pay $35 per month or they are currently offering a discount for the yearly membership at $150 per year, which is down from $420 per year. Members have access to 300+ coding challenges, the official step-by-step solution guides for harder challenges, and thousands of user solutions.
Ratings and reviews
Coderbyte has been featured on a list of top coding challenge websites by gitconnected, which is a platform for developers and software engineers to share knowledge, connect, collaborate, and learn. They specifically like that Coderbyte allows users to view official solutions and user-submitted solutions, giving people additional ways to learn.
Most people seem to generally enjoy Coderbyte. The main piece of feedback is that there are similar, free services online that people use instead of paying for Coderbyte.
Alternatives to Coderbyte
There are other websites that compile software engineering questions, similar to Coderbyte.
- Leetcode is probably the most well known. Most people who use Leetcode feel that the questions are more geared towards real work and are often better practice for technical interviews.
- HackerRank is also a site people commonly use to prepare for technical interviews. People say that the UI is nicer on HackerRank but the questions and content are sometimes less helpful than Leetcode or Coderbyte.
- Codewars is a user-generated alternative, where all of the challenges are written by the community.
- CodinGame makes coding challenges more fun by gamifying them.
- Finally, CodeSignal is another platform that employers use to assess candidates, but software engineers can also use it to practice technical questions and actually connect with hiring managers by applying to jobs through the challenges.
We compiled a list of resources to practice software engineer interview questions that you can use to decide the best one for you.
How does Coderbyte compare to Pathrise?
Coderbyte is a good tool for software engineers of all skill levels to use in preparation for their technical interviews. The questions are well organized for users to learn new skills or advance their current interests so that they are ready for whatever is thrown at them in technical challenges.
At Pathrise, we are focused on helping our fellows with the entire job search. Part of that is mastering the technical interview and so we recommend that software engineers in the program practice these types of questions as much as possible so they can go into their interviews with confidence. Sometimes, fellows come back from technical interviews saying that the problem they were assigned was similar to a problem they did in practice, so it is extremely important to utilize online practice platforms. This means there is a good opportunity for people to use Coderbyte and Pathrise together, as Coderbyte can help with technical advancement and Pathrise can help with everything else needed to find the best possible job for a software engineer.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and young professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows interview performance scores double.
If you want to work with any of our advisors 1-on-1 to get help with your software engineer interviews or with any other aspect of the job search, become a Pathrise fellow.