Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now industry mentor at Pathrise. I have worked with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream jobs in tech. Check out my review of Codebasil.
- What does Codebasil do?
- Who is Codebasil for?
- What does Codebasil cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Codebasil
- Alternatives to Codebasil
- How does Codebasil compare to Pathrise?
What does Codebasil do?
Users begin with warm-up questions, which allow them to master key concepts before they tackle the more rigorous challenges. While the program encourages users to go through the questions in sequence, people can solve them in any order. They offer 45 problems that cover topics such as strings, trees, linked lists, algorithms, and recursion. In addition, they have five 30-minute mock interview problems, which are based on interview questions from actual companies. Each problem is designed to teach users how to brainstorm ideas. But, if users are stuck on a problem, they can check out the hints, as well as suggestions for further resources.
Some problems are available for free, but users must subscribe to receive access to the in-depth, step-by-step solutions. In addition, those who are interested in working 1-on-1 with a coach can select the paid coaching option, which includes three 1-on-1 sessions with industry experts: one 30-minute tutoring session and two mock phone interviews.
Who is Codebasil for?
Software engineers looking to brush up on their skills or practice for their technical interviews can benefit from Codebasil. The program is also a good option for people who are looking for 1-on-1 sessions as well.
What does Codebasil cost? How much work is involved?
Codebasil uses a subscription based-model and offers 4 options: free, monthly, power of 3, and complete coaching.
Users who select the free option receive access to some problems but no solutions. Those who pick the monthly plan pay $15 per month, which includes 1-month of unlimited access to all of the problems and solutions. After that, users must pay for additional months to continue receiving access to the subscriber-only problems and solutions. People who choose the power of 3 plan pay $39 every 3 months and receive the same benefits as users who subscribe to the monthly plan. For complete coaching, the cost is a one-time payment of $479. This option includes 3-months of unlimited access to all of the problems and solutions, as well as three 1-on-1 sessions with career and technical coaches.
To create an account, students register with their Facebook, email, or Google accounts. After that, they select their payment option (via credit card) and begin practicing.
Ratings and reviews
As a relatively new program, there are not too many reviews of Codebasil available online. One Facebook user said that Codebasil was a “great platform for mastering your interviews and learning code.” On Quora, one user benefited from the “simple-to-understand solutions.” Echoing this, another Quora reviewer recommended Codebasil as an alternative to AlgoExpert: “The solutions walk you through the data structures and algorithms necessary to solve the problems as well as the type of problem solving thinking to arrive at the answer, which is a crucial component of a job interview.”
Alternatives to Codebasil
If you decide not to use Codebasil, there are a number of alternatives to help prepare you for your technical interviews.
- Created by a former Google software engineer, Interview Cake is a study tool that teaches people the best way to think about technical interview questions so that they perform well on interview day. Discover how Interview Cake can help you by reading our review.
- One of the most popular options, Leetcode has over 1,050 interview-type questions. Premium subscribers have access to problems based on actual company questions.
- Another interview prep alternative is Coderbyte, which hosts an online editor and offers tens of thousands of user solutions. Learn more about Coderbyte in our review.
- Similarly, Edabit also hosts online editors and provides access to tens of thousands of user solutions.
- HackerRank is a common tool used by companies to evaluate software engineers. They offer practice questions on their platform, which mimics the environment that people will likely be tested in.
- CodinGame, Codewars, CodeChef, Check.io, and CodeSignal turn interview practice problems into challenges in order to gamify the interview prep experience.
- Another option is AlgoExpert, a paid platform that allows users to write in 5 different languages to answer questions on topics such as data structures, algorithms, and problem-solving.
- If you are looking to participate in mock interviews with software engineers at top tech companies, you should check out Interviewing.io. Learn more about Interviewing.io in our review.
- Similarly, Gainlo and Pramp give users the opportunity to practice for technical interviews with experts and peers.
- Daily Coding Problem is a newsletter that sends 1 practice interview problem directly to your inbox each day. The questions are free, but users must subscribe to access the solutions.
- People looking to prep with real world problems can check out CodeKata. They provide challenges that mimic requests from real tech companies.
- Software engineers who use Ruby on Rails can check out RubyTapas, which has challenges in that language.
How does Codebasil compare to Pathrise?
Codebasil is a tool for software engineers who are looking to prepare for technical interviews. Users can choose whether or not they want 1-on-1 support.
Pathrise is a full service organization that helps candidates land their dream job. We work extensively with software engineers by providing technical workshops, 1-on-1 mentoring sessions, and pair programming sessions. In addition, we offer guidance on all other components of the job search, including resume and LinkedIn optimization, behavioral interview preparation, reverse recruiting strategies, salary negotiation, and more.
Advancing technical skills is a key component of landing a job as a software engineer, so fellows in our program should feel free to use Codebasil, along with our technical workshops, to deepen their programming knowledge.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows interview performance scores double.
If you are interested in working 1-on-1 with any of our mentors to optimize your job search, become a Pathrise fellow.