Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering advisor at Pathrise. I work with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream job.
- What does Pramp do?
- Who is Pramp for?
- What does Pramp cost?
- Ratings and review of Pramp
- Alternatives to Pramp
- How does Pramp compare to Pathrise?
What does Pramp do?
Pramp is a platform where people can practice for technical and behavioral interviews by participating in mock interviews with their peers. They offer questions on the following topics: data structures and algorithms, system design, frontend, data science, and behavioral.
The interviews take place over video chat and a collaborative code editor. Each question takes about 30 minutes and then the peers switch, so the session takes about 1 hour. They are all bi-directional, so users are both interviewee and interviewer. Users are matched with peers based on background, availability, preferred languages, and experience. After the interview, you can give and receive feedback. Users can also invite friends to practice with them.
Who is Pramp for?
Candidates who want to participate in mock interviews to practice for their interviews in software engineering and product management can benefit from Pramp. Those who use this platform need to have background experience and skills necessary to get these software engineering and product management jobs as the program only provides mock interviews, not training, solutions, or additional help.
What does Pramp cost? How much work is involved?
Pramp is free for users. When they make an account, they provide information about their background, availability, practice goals, work experience, education, preferred programming languages, selected practicing topics, and other factors.
Ratings and reviews
People who have reviewed Pramp online liked that they could practice on both sides of the table because it gave them a sense of what it feels like to be the interviewer and what to look out for when they are interviewing. And, of course, they like that the program is free. The co-founder of Pramp also commented on every thread about the program from 2016-2017.
Some users felt like Pramp was less helpful than practicing technical interview questions on their own because they have to wait for interview sessions to be available. This timing can make it difficult if candidates are preparing on a timeline.
Alternatives to Pramp
For candidates interested in mock interviews:
- Interviewing.io is a close alternative to Pramp. It is also free, but only focused on software engineering technical interviews. The main difference is that candidates interview with real software engineers at tech companies and they also have the opportunities to bypass the technical assessment stage in those hiring processes.
- Gainlo is a paid alternative, focused on software engineering technical interviews, which does not offer job-matching.
- Leetcode is another alternative to Pramp, for software engineers who are interested in practicing technical interview-type questions, but they do not provide mock interviews.
- Similarly, HackerRank is another alternative with software engineering technical interview questions.
- Interview Cake is a study tool that software engineers can use to practice technical questions that will likely come up in interviews.
- Codewars is a user-generated alternative, where all of the challenges are written by the community and CodinGame makes coding challenges more fun by gamifying them.
We compiled a list of resources to practice software engineer interview questions that you can use to decide the best one for you.
How does Pramp compare to Pathrise?
Pramp gives users the ability to participate in mock interviews, both as the interviewer and interviewee. They give and receive feedback on their peers’ performance, but they do not receive any technical or behavioral help from experts. In addition, they do not receive resume or additional guidance on soft skills.
Pathrise is a full service organization. We work with candidates through all stages of the job search, teaching them to enhance their soft skills and develop strategies that they can continue to use throughout their whole lives. Fellows in the Pathrise program work with their advisor to optimize their resume and online profiles, find the best possible opportunities, prepare for and practice technical and behavioral interviews, and negotiate to ensure they end up with compensation that is above industry average.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and young professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows receive 3x as many responses to their applications and their interview performance scores double.
If you want to work with any of our advisors 1-on-1 to get help with your any aspect of your job search, become a Pathrise fellow.