- What does Flatiron School do?
- Who is Flatiron School for?
- What does Flatiron School cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Flatiron School
- Alternatives to Flatiron School
- How does Flatiron School compare to Pathrise?
What does Flatiron School do?
Founded in 2012, Flatiron School is an educational program (acquired by WeWork in 2017) with options for classes in-person or online. Their campuses are in New York City, San Francisco, Atlanta, Austin, Seattle, DC, Denver, London, Sydney, and a few more cities.
They offer courses on software engineering, UX design, data science, and cybersecurity analytics. Students can choose between full-time immersive or part-time courses. The full-time courses on campus last from 12-24 weeks. Online, they are varied in length. For example, the software engineering full-time program takes 5 months and the part-time program takes 10 months to complete while the UX design full-time program takes 6 months and the part-time one takes 11 months. There is also a self-paced option, where students have access to the curriculum for 15 months.
Who is Flatiron School for?
For those with no background in a specific topic or people who want to transition into a software engineering, data science, or product design role and do not have a background in the subject, Flatiron School can be a good option. Because they provide career guidance, and the option to pay later with an ISA, it can be especially helpful.
What does Flatiron School cost? How much work is involved?
Flatiron School admissions processes and costs vary by program. For on-campus admissions, applicants go through a non-technical interview and a technical assessment before being accepted or denied. If accepted, they have pre-work to do in preparation for their first day. The on-campus programs cost $17,000 upfront or students can sign an income share agreement (ISA) in which they pay back 10% of their salary over 2 years as long as they are making at least $40k per year.
Online, prospective students participate in only the non-technical interview before a decision is made. Once accepted, they are given pre-work to prep for the first day. Both the full-time and part-time online programs cost $1500 upfront. Students can also choose to pay with loans or using the same ISA (10% over 2 years). The self-paced program costs $9,600.
Ratings and reviews
Like most bootcamps, the reviews online are mixed. There are plenty of people who have found success with Flatiron School and are now working in roles directly related to what they learned in the course. The general consensus is that Flatiron works best for self-starters who are motivated and willing to put in the work. On their website, they list a wide variety of impressive companies where their students now work.
On the other side, Flatiron was involved in a $375,000 settlement in 2017 based on misleading employment and salary numbers they had released. In addition, students have reported that they felt the lessons were half-baked and the instructors were not very strong.
Alternatives to Flatiron School
As an educational program, there are a fair number of alternatives to Flatiron School.
- General Assembly also has online and on-campus courses for people interested in learning skills to break into the tech industry.
- Lambda School is another well known alternative. A full-time bootcamp, Lambda offers programs in software engineering, UX design, data science, and iOS development.
- The Tech Academy is an online and onsite bootcamp that helps people learn the technical skills necessary to land a job as a (junior) software developer or data scientist.
- Udacity is offers a mix of free and paid resources that students can use to learn many different tech skills.
- Similarly, Springboard is a popular online education tool for people interested in learning or advancing their current tech skills.
- People who are more interested in software engineering can look to Codeacademy, which teaches courses in computer science and coding for free and also offers membership that are around $20-$40 per month.
- They can also check out Hack Reactor, which is a software engineering bootcamp that offers full-time online and onsite options as well as part-time online options.
- Similarly, there is Coursera, which provides free and low-cost college courses from $29 all the way to $25,000.
- Udemy is an online learning platform with over 100,000 online video courses in a wide variety of topics. Udemy students can pick & choose classes, often paying around $10 per class.
How does Flatiron School compare to Pathrise?
Flatiron School is a bootcamp, with courses for people who are interested in learning a completely new skill, like UX design or software engineering. At Pathrise, job-seekers in our program should already have a background in the field they are interested in so that they can participate in and fully benefit from our technical workshops, where we provide a more specific curriculum based on what they will see in their interviews.
All of our workshops and sessions at Pathrise are live, as well as recorded, so that job-seekers in our program can review them afterwards and continue learning. Our program is flexible, with only 4 hours of group sessions per week and 1-on-1 sessions that can be scheduled whenever job-seekers need them. Our curriculum is personalized to work on the specific skills that people struggle with the most.
Specifically, Pathrise focuses on technical and behavioral interviewing as well as resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building and strengthening, cold email and reverse recruiting lessons, and negotiation templates and guidance. Job-seekers in Pathrise find a job, on average, within 3-5 months of joining the program. The Pathrise income share agreement is just 9% of their first year’s salary.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. If you want to work with any of our mentors to get help with your technical and behavioral interviews or with any other aspect of the job search, join Pathrise.