- What does Flatiron School do?
- Who is Flatiron School for?
- What does Flatiron School cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Flatiron School
- Alternatives to Flatiron School
- How does Flatiron School compare to Pathrise?
What does Flatiron School do?
Founded in 2012, Flatiron School is an educational program (acquired by WeWork in 2017) with options for classes in-person or online. Their campuses are in New York City, San Francisco, Atlanta, Austin, Seattle, DC, Denver, London, Sydney, and a few more cities.
They offer courses on software engineering, UX design, data science, and cybersecurity analytics. Students can choose between full-time immersive or part-time courses. The full-time courses on campus last from 12-24 weeks. Online, they are varied in length. For example, the software engineering full-time program takes 5 months and the part-time program takes 10 months to complete while the UX design full-time program takes 6 months and the part-time one takes 11 months. There is also a self-paced option, where students have access to the curriculum for 15 months.
Who is Flatiron School for?
For those with no background in a specific topic or people who want to transition into a software engineering, data science, or product design role and do not have a background in the subject, Flatiron School can be a good option. Because they provide career guidance, and the option to pay later with an ISA, it can be especially helpful.
What does Flatiron School cost? How much work is involved?
Flatiron School admissions processes and costs vary by program. For on-campus admissions, applicants go through a non-technical interview and a technical assessment before being accepted or denied. If accepted, they have pre-work to do in preparation for their first day. The on-campus programs cost $17,000 upfront or students can sign an income share agreement (ISA) in which they pay back 10% of their salary over 2 years as long as they are making at least $40k per year.
Online, prospective students participate in only the non-technical interview before a decision is made. Once accepted, they are given pre-work to prep for the first day. Both the full-time and part-time online programs cost $1500 upfront. Students can also choose to pay with loans or using the same ISA (10% over 2 years). The self-paced program costs $9,600.
Ratings and reviews
Like most bootcamps, the reviews online are mixed. There are plenty of people who have found success with Flatiron School and are now working in roles directly related to what they learned in the course. The general consensus is that Flatiron works best for self-starters who are motivated and willing to put in the work. On their website, they list a wide variety of impressive companies where their students now work.
On the other side, Flatiron was involved in a $375,000 settlement in 2017 based on misleading employment and salary numbers they had released. In addition, students have reported that they felt the lessons were half-baked and the instructors were not very strong. Though, it does seem like there is some flexibility if you do not work well with your instructor.
Alternatives to Flatiron School
As an educational program, there are a fair number of alternatives to Flatiron School.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Students can also consider Kenzie Academy, a full-time tech bootcamp that offers in-person and online courses in 2 tracks: software engineering & UX design and front-end engineering. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our review.
- Similarly, Pragmatic Institute have online courses for people interested in learning skills to break into the tech industry.
- The Tech Academy and Coding Dojo are online and onsite bootcamps that help people learn the technical skills necessary to land a job as a (junior) software developer or data scientist.
- For those in the cities listed above, Designation offers online and in-person design courses on the same campus as Flatiron School.
- Similarly, people can check out Galvanize, which has options for full-time immersive and part-time online courses in software engineering and data science.
- Students interested in taking online self-guided or instructor-led product design courses can check out DesignerUp. Learn more about DesignerUp in our review.
- For people with an interest in data science, Metis has part-time introduction courses as well as onsite and online bootcamp options. Learn more about Metis in our review.
- Coding Temple and RMOTR are Python data science and web development bootcamps, focusing on the fundamentals.
- Aspiring designers can consider Designlab, an online bootcamp that teaches the necessary skills to land a job as a UX designer. Read more about Designlab in our review.
- Similarly, Bloc, Skillcrush, OpenClassrooms, Interaction Design Foundation, and InternStreet are online bootcamps and resources with tracks in web development and design.
- Offering a variety of diploma programs, certificate courses, and other training, BrainStation is for students who are looking to pivot into a new career in data science, UX/UI design, development, and product management.
- You can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online educational platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- People who are more interested in software engineering can look to Codeacademy, which teaches courses in computer science and coding for free and also offers membership that are around $20-$40 per month.
- They can also check out Hack Reactor, which is a software engineering bootcamp that offers full-time online and onsite options as well as part-time online options.
- GrowthX Academy is an online bootcamp with courses in growth marketing, UX design, and sales and business development. Learn more about GrowthX Academy in our review of the program.
- Similarly, there are Coursera, Simplilearn, Learn UX, Treehouse, and Pluralsight, which provide free and low-cost courses.
- Udemy is an online learning platform with over 100,000 online video courses in a wide variety of topics. Udemy students can pick & choose classes, often paying around $10 per class.
- Students located in the Bay Area or looking to work in Silicon Valley can check out Tradecraft, which has tracks in product design, growth marketing, engineering, and sales.
How does Flatiron School compare to Pathrise?
Flatiron School is a bootcamp, with courses for people who are interested in learning a completely new skill, like UX design or software engineering. At Pathrise, job-seekers in our program should already have a background in the field they are interested in so that they can participate in and fully benefit from our technical workshops, where we provide a more specific curriculum based on what they will see in their interviews.
All of our workshops and sessions at Pathrise are live, as well as recorded, so that job-seekers in our program can review them afterwards and continue learning. Our program is flexible, with only 4 hours of group sessions per week and 1-on-1 sessions that can be scheduled whenever job-seekers need them. Our curriculum is personalized to work on the specific skills that people struggle with the most.
Specifically, Pathrise focuses on technical and behavioral interviewing as well as resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building and strengthening, cold email and reverse recruiting lessons, and negotiation templates and guidance. Job-seekers in Pathrise find a job, on average, within 3-5 months of joining the program. The Pathrise income share agreement is just 9% of their first year’s salary.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. If you want to work with any of our mentors to get help with your technical and behavioral interviews or with any other aspect of the job search, join Pathrise.