Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now industry advisor at Pathrise. I work with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream jobs in tech. Check out my review of CodeX Academy.
- What does CodeX Academy do?
- Who is CodeX Academy for?
- What does CodeX Academy cost?
- Ratings and reviews of CodeX Academy
- Alternatives to CodeX Academy
- How does CodeX Academy compare to Pathrise?
What does CodeX Academy do?
CodeX Academy is an online bootcamp that helps people learn the technical skills to land a job as a front-end developer, full-stack developer, and full-stack engineer. They offer part-time and full-time courses with live 1-on-1 mentorship and internship opportunities.
The full-time front-end development course lasts about 13 weeks, with over 520 hours of studying and 130 mentoring sessions. Students in the part-time front-end development course also get 520 hours of studying and 130 mentor sessions, but their course is stretched over 26 weeks.
Students in the full-time full-stack development course learn for 26 weeks and the part-time course lasts 52 weeks. Both full-stack developer courses include 260 mentor sessions and over 1040 hours of study material.
Finally, the full-time full-stack engineer course meets for 39 weeks and the part-time program meets 76 weeks. Students in either full-stack engineering course get 390 mentoring sessions and over 1560 hours of study material. All courses are self-paced. Students can spend as long as they need on a subject, only moving forward in the course when they are positive they have mastered the subject.
They also spend time on Docker, ExpressJS, Figma, Jest, Mongo DB, PostgreSQL, ReactJS, Sass, TypeScript, Visual Studio Code, VueJS, Chrome, GitHub, Postman, and Terminal. The program also teaches students Agile and lean practices, project management, and software development techniques.
The curriculum also includes Firebase, ASP.NET, Amazon AWS, C#, Docker, and Express.JS. Students learn Figma, Jest, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, ReactJS, and Sass. They also spend time on TypeScript, Visual Studio Code, VueJS, Chrome, GitHub, Postman, and Terminal.
All courses include 1-on-1 mentoring, tech certifications, and an internship opportunity to help graduates land their dream job. Graduates have the opportunity to participate in a 3-6 month internship where they can sharpen their new tech skills and build their resumes. Internship partners include Hero Unit, FortyAu, Compete Running, Batchery, and Acklen Avenue.
Who is CodeX Academy for?
People with no experience in front-end development, full-stack development, or full-stack engineering who are looking to move into these careers could benefit from a CodeX Academy bootcamp.
In addition, people who have existing programming experience but need some help brushing up on modern platforms and techniques would find the program useful as well. The program is especially helpful for people who are interested in a self-paced, remote course or for those seeking 1-on-1 mentorship.
What does CodeX Academy cost? How much work is involved?
Cost depends on the course subject. Full-time and part-time courses are priced the same. Tuition for any front-end development bootcamp is $4,500. Students who enroll in any full-stack development bootcamp pay $9,000. The full-stack engineering courses cost $13,500.
CodeX Academy offers an income share agreement (ISA) at 10% of the graduate’s income once they land a job in tech. Financing is also available through Climb Credit. Rates and repayment plans depend on an applicant’s credit history.
Unlike many other tech bootcamps, CodeX Academy has no technical or behavioral interview. Admission requires students to submit an online form and pay a small application fee. As of August 2020, the application fee has been waived due to Covid-19.
Ratings and reviews
As a relatively new program, there are not many online reviews of CodeX Academy. However, so far reviews have been positive. One student raves “I am learning so much” and praises the “Mentors that ensure I am learning the material.”
Another student appreciated that the course was self-paced, remarking “as a busy professional, the scheduling flexibility made a big difference in helping me.” A graduate describes the program as “a really fun experience” that she felt “has been valuable for my career.”
Alternatives to CodeX Academy
If you decide not to enroll in CodeX Academy, there are many alternative bootcamps and courses that can help you land a job as a front-end developer, full-stack developer, or software engineer.
- The tech bootcamp Kenzie Academy offers in-person and online courses in 2 tracks: software engineering & UX design and front-end engineering. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our review.
- Another popular tech bootcamp, General Assembly teaches full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on software engineering, UX design, digital marketing, data science, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Flatiron School teaches courses on topics like software engineering, data science, UX design, and cybersecurity. Students can choose part-time or full-time options, both on-campus or remote.
- Aspiring front-end web developers can also check out Bloc, a self-paced program like CodeX Academy that offers courses in both web dev and design.
- Codeworks, devCodeCamp, Launch Academy, and Code Fellows are software engineering and web dev bootcamps with on-campus and live online options.
- For those looking to land an entry-level software job, Coding Dojo is a bootcamp that teaches software engineering, focusing on fundamental skills. Like CodeX academy, the program helps students with little to no experience land their first job in tech.
- edX is one of the largest online learning platforms. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
- The popular bootcamp Lambda School offers 9-month courses in web dev and data science. Like CodeX Academy, students can pay for the program with an income share agreement (ISA).
- Similarly, Thinkful, Holberton School, Turing, and Rithm School are software engineering bootcamps with ISA options for those looking to defer payments.
- For students interested in lower-cost software development courses, Simplilearn, Treehouse, Udemy, Coder Foundry, and Pluralsight may be good options. Like CodeX Academy, these programs are flexible and self-paced.
- Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40 per month for more course options and greater support. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
- Similarly, Udacity and Springboard host self-paced, online courses on software engineering, web development, analytics, and much much more. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
How does CodeX Academy compare to Pathrise?
CodeX Academy offers courses to people interested in learning coding so they can land a role as a front end developer, full stack developer, or software engineer. While an interest in tech is recommended, most students start with no experience. Pathrise job-seekers should already have some background in their chosen field to benefit fully from the technical curriculum.
The mentors at CodeX Academy help students learn technical skills. Our Pathrise mentors help fellows find a great job that fits their skills and goals. We work with fellows at each phase of the job search including resume and portfolio optimization, cold emailing and reverse recruiting, technical and behavioral interviewing, and negotiation.
Our program includes 4 hours of group sessions and 1-on-1 mentoring that can be scheduled as needed. The Pathrise income share agreement is only 9% of a fellow’s first year salary and we never require upfront payments.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that helps you land your dream job through 1-on-1 mentoring and training. If you are interested in working with one of our mentors to optimize your job search, join Pathrise.