Hi, I’m Derrick, the CTO here at Pathrise. I work with candidates who are looking to land great jobs in data science.
- What does Metis do?
- Who is Metis for?
- What does Metis cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Metis
- Alternatives to Metis
- How does Metis compare to Pathrise?
What does Metis do?
Metis is a 12-week, full-time immersive data science bootcamp. Campuses are located in tech hubs such as New York City, Seattle, and San Francisco. Students can also participate in the bootcamp online. Metis is rigorous and requires students to have some prior experience with programming and statistical analysis. For students who need to review their programming and advanced math skills, Metis offers five free modules in linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python fundamentals. Students can take these courses at their own pace.
The project-based, hands-on curriculum ensures that students will leave the program qualified for data scientist jobs. In addition, Metis provides opportunities for networking by planning events where students can meet potential mentors and future employers. The program includes job placement and interview preparation, as well as a career fair and opportunities to shadow data scientists.
The 12-week bootcamp meets Monday-Friday from 9AM-5PM. At least three hours a day are dedicated to independent project work. Attendance is highly encouraged, as lectures are not recorded. Metis also offers part-time, online courses in the fundamentals of math and Python. These courses meet twice a week for 2-3 hours in the evening and run for 1-2 months.
Who is Metis for?
Metis is a data science bootcamp for students who are interested in further developing their skills in Python, Bash, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, interactive data visualization, algorithms, and big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. While students do not need to have previous work experience in data science, they do need to have at least 30 credit hours of academic pre-work in math, statistics, and programming.
International students can also attend the Metis data science bootcamp on an M-1 Visa.
How much does Metis cost? How much work is involved?
The cost for the Metis bootcamp is $17,000. For students with financial need, Metis provides loans ranging from $2000 to $25,500. Students can choose between a 36-month and a 60-month repayment plan. $3,000 scholarships are available for women, underrepresented minorities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and U.S. military veterans. For students looking for a smaller commitment, the online, part-time courses in math and Python fundamentals cost $750.
Prospective Metis students must submit an online application. Applicants will provide their work and educational experiences, take a technical self assessment, and write about their goals for the bootcamp. If a student advances to the second round, they will take a 3-hour technical test assessing their skills in math, statistics, Python, and basic data analysis. If they are successful in that round, they will have a 30-minute interview with a Metis alumnus working in data science.
Ratings and reviews of Metis
Metis generally receives positive reviews. Students on CourseReport highlight the demanding curriculum and the superb job placement record, with one graduate noting that thanks to the “rigorous and well-structured curriculum, you will be comfortable breathing data science and be employable upon your graduation.”
According to a reviewer on Switchup, Metis is the “best way to break into the industry.” A Reddit user similarly notes that “graduates go to some well known places” after finishing the program. On Career Karma, reviewers praised the course for the curriculum and high caliber of students and instructors.
Alternatives to Metis
Because of the prerequisites and demanding schedule, Metis might not be the best fit for everyone. If that’s the case, check out some of the alternatives listed here.
- For those with an interest in data science, consider DataCamp and Dataquest. Both programs provide a variety of individual courses and in depth tracks.
- The Tech Academy helps those without any experience launch careers in data science. They offer full-time and part-time bootcamps.
- Like Metis, both NYC Data Science Academy and The Data Incubator are rigorous and intensive options. You should brush up on fundamentals before starting.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Lambda School and Coding Dojo are popular among students who are interested in acquiring fundamental skills in software engineering or data science.
- If you’re looking to refresh your Python data science and web development skills, consider bootcamps at Coding Temple and RMOTR.
- You can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online educational platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- Coursera and Pluralsight offers a wide variety of free and paid courses.
How does Metis compare to Pathrise?
The Metis data science bootcamp is for people with significant quantitative experience, especially in programming and statistical analysis. Metis provides career development, interview preparation, and other career placement resources.
At Pathrise, fellows entering the program should also have some background in their field because our workshops prepare fellows for technical interviews, which requires knowledge of the fundamentals. We work closely with students on career placement by providing 1-on-1 mentoring, personalized plans, and flexible meetings with mentors.
Our workshops (4 hours per week) and 1-on-1s (scheduled as needed by fellows) assist students with LinkedIn optimization, resumes, cold emailing, reverse recruiting, and behavioral interviews. The sessions are recorded, so fellows can review past material. The Pathrise income share agreement is 9% of an applicant’s first year salary.
Pathrise helps fellows accelerate their career by providing 1-on-1 mentorship. If you are interested in learning how to optimize your job search so you can land the best possible job, become a Pathrise fellow.