Updated in 2023
- What does Metis do?
- Who is Metis for?
- What does Metis cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Metis
- Alternatives to Metis
- How does Metis compare to Pathrise?
What does Metis do?
Metis offers immersive data science, data analytics, machine learning, and data engineering bootcamps. Students participate live online and interact in real-time with their classmates. Metis is rigorous and requires students to have some prior experience with programming and statistical analysis before joining.
But, students who need to review their programming and advanced math skills can take one of Metis’ five free modules in linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python fundamentals. Students can take these courses at their own pace. Similarly, Metis also offers part-time, online courses in the fundamentals of math and Python. These courses meet twice a week for 2-3 hours in the evening and run for 1-2 months.
Their flagship programs have a project-based, hands-on curriculum that ensures students will leave the program qualified for data scientist jobs. In addition, Metis provides opportunities for networking by planning events where students can meet potential mentors and future employers. Moreover, the program includes job placement and interview preparation, as well as a recorded final project presentation that their career services team puts in front of hiring companies to facilitate introductions.
The 12-week bootcamp meets Monday-Friday with a choice between 2 schedules: 9:30am-5:50pm ET or 11:30am-7:30pm ET. Students work on independent projects for at least 3 hours a day. Attendance is highly encouraged because lectures are not recorded.
Who is Metis for?
Metis is a bootcamp for students who are interested in further developing their skills in Python, Bash, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, interactive data visualization, algorithms, and big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. While students do not need to have previous work experience in data science, they do need to have at least 30 credit hours of academic pre-work in math, statistics, and programming.
In additiona, international students can also attend the Metis data science bootcamp on an M-1 Visa.
How much does Metis cost? How much work is involved?
The cost for the Metis data science and data engineering bootcamps are $14,500 (full-time) or $11,000 (flex). The full-time data analytics bootcamp costs $9,000 and the flex version costs $7,000. Finally, the machine learning bootcamp full-time program costs $18,500 and the flex program costs $14,000.
However, for students with financial need, Metis provides loans, of which students can choose between a 36-month and a 60-month repayment plan. $3,000 scholarships are available for women, underrepresented minorities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and U.S. military veterans. For students looking for a smaller commitment, the online, part-time courses in math and Python fundamentals cost $750.
Prospective Metis students must submit an online application. Applicants will provide their work and educational experiences, take a technical self assessment, and write about their goals for the bootcamp. If a student advances to the second round, they will take a 3-hour technical test assessing their skills in math, statistics, Python, and basic data analysis. If they are successful in that round, they will have a 30-minute interview with a Metis alumnus working in data science.
Ratings and reviews of Metis
Metis generally receives positive reviews. Students on Course Report highlight the demanding curriculum and the superb job placement record, with one graduate noting that thanks to the “rigorous and well-structured curriculum, you will be comfortable breathing data science and be employable upon your graduation.”
According to a reviewer on Switchup, Metis is the “best way to break into the industry.” A Reddit user similarly notes that “graduates go to some well known places” after finishing the program. On Career Karma, reviewers praised the course for the curriculum and high caliber of students and instructors.
Alternatives to Metis
Because of the prerequisites and demanding schedule, Metis might not be the best fit for everyone. If that’s the case, check out some of the alternatives listed here.
- DataCamp, Dataquest, Divergence Academy, and Data Science Dojo are also options for current and aspiring data scientists. They offer individual courses, as well as in-depth tracks.
- The Tech Academy, Zip Code Wilmington, and Promotable help those without any experience launch careers in data science.
- Like Metis, both NYC Data Science Academy and The Data Incubator are rigorous and intensive options. You should brush up on fundamentals before starting.
- In the same vein, FourthBrain has part-time, online machine learning courses.
- Similarly, Insight is a fellowship program for people with PhDs in data subjects who are looking to break into the industry. If you don’t have experience, consider the Menon Labs fellowship.
- If you are starting from scratch, you can consider the self-paced course at Data Science Dream Job. Or, check out K2 Data Science, which is a part-time, online program.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Or, consider Kal Academy, which works with women and underrepresented groups on software engineering, web dev, and data.
- Lambda School, Byte Academy, University of Arizona Bootcamps, and Coding Dojo are popular among students who are interested in acquiring fundamental skills in software engineering or data science.
- If you’re looking to refresh your Python data science and web development skills, consider bootcamps at Coding Temple and RMOTR. Similarly, QuickStart has courses in web dev and data.
- edX is one of the largest online learning platforms. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
- You can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online educational platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- Similarly, Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40 per month for more course options and greater support. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
- Coursera and Pluralsight offers a wide variety of free and paid courses.
- Free online resources, SoloLearn and the Mode tutorials have tracks in SQL, as well as other programming languages.
- Likewise, 365 Data Science is a low-cost and low commitment option to learn data fundamentals.
- People with experience who are looking to do machine learning projects as they look for jobs can consider SharpestMinds.
- If you prefer in-person classes, check out Magnimind or Principal Analytics Prep, which have full-time and part-time data science courses.
How does Metis compare to Pathrise?
The Metis data science bootcamp is for people with significant quantitative experience, especially in programming and statistical analysis. Metis provides career development, interview preparation, and other career placement resources.
At Pathrise, fellows entering the program should also have some background in their field because our workshops prepare fellows for technical interviews, which requires knowledge of the fundamentals. We work closely with students on career placement by providing 1-on-1 mentoring, personalized plans, and flexible meetings with mentors.
Our program is extremely flexible and fellows can schedule 1-on-1 sessions with their mentors whenever they need. We assist students with LinkedIn optimization, resumes, cold emailing, reverse recruiting, and behavioral interviews. Fellows can review recorded workshops when they need. The Pathrise income share agreement means that fellows never have to pay until they land a job they love and start working.
Pathrise helps fellows accelerate their career by providing 1-on-1 mentorship. If you are interested in learning how to optimize your job search so you can land the best possible job, become a Pathrise fellow.