Hi, I’m Derrick, the CTO here at Pathrise. I work with candidates who are looking to land great jobs in data science.
- What does Dataquest do?
- Who is Dataquest for?
- What does Dataquest cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Dataquest
- Alternatives to Dataquest
- How does Dataquest compare to Pathrise?
What does Dataquest do?
Dataquest offers online, 24-week project-based data science courses focused on data analysis using R and Python.
They have 60 courses on a variety of data science topics in varying difficulty levels, with the goal of teaching specific tools through coding and hands-on projects. While some of the courses are fundamentals-based and for beginners, the majority are more intermediate or advanced and would be better suited for someone with some background in the subject.
Aspiring data scientists and those with some background who are looking to further advance their skills can also participate in Dataquest paths, which are curated sequences of courses, arranged to take students from zero to job-ready. The paths are based on the role – Data analyst in R or Python (beginner), data scientist in Python (intermediate), and data engineer (intermediate).
Who is Dataquest for?
Current and aspiring data scientists can both benefit from the courses and paths offered by Dataquest. The bootcamp is more focused on people who are looking to start from the very beginning of their data science career, but the classes can be helpful for data scientists looking to advance their skills.
What does Dataquest cost? How much work is involved?
Dataquest operates on a subscription model. Some of their courses are free, but for the rest, users can choose to pay $29 per month for the basic plan or $49 per month for premium. The basic plan gives users access to all of the courses in the beginner paths as well as 16 projects. Those in the premium plan get access to all of the courses in the intermediate paths as well as resume review, career coaching, and 30 projects.
Ratings and reviews
Dataquest is highly rated online, where it is on a few top 10 bootcamp lists. Similarly, on CourseReport, they are reviewed well by students who felt like the curriculum was well done and actually preferred that they were less lecture-based because it forced them to learn by doing. They also like that you go at your own pace.
It is important to note that a lot of the positive reviews for Dataquest online are written by affiliates, who get paid by the company for writing them. Most people compare Dataquest with DataCamp, another platform with a variety of data science courses. The main differences are the videos – while some people like that Dataquest does not have videos, other found it more boring as a completely text-based tool. For both platforms, and for almost all bootcamps and online education tools, it is important for students to practice on their own to really understand the topics.
Alternatives to Dataquest
For aspiring data scientists and those who are looking to continue their education on the subject, there are a fair number of alternatives.
- Metis has part-time introduction courses as well as onsite and online bootcamp options. Learn more about Metis in our review.
- You can also consider DataCamp, as mentioned above, which offers a variety of courses on topics under the data science umbrella. Students can choose to take courses or enroll in a skill or career track.
- If you are looking for projects-based learning, The Data Incubator is a good option. It is fairly rigorous and requires a background in data science before starting.
- You can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online educational platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- Students can also check out Udemy, Coursera, and Pluralsight, which have hundreds of data science resources and classes.
- For people looking to find a community of data scientists and projects to work on, Kaggle is a good alternative. They have 19,000 public datasets and 200,000 public notebooks for people who are looking to get started or contribute to data science projects in order to advance their skills or build up their portfolios.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- The Tech Academy is an online and onsite bootcamp that helps people learn the technical skills necessary to land a job as a (junior) software developer or data scientist.
- Coding Temple and RMOTR are Python data science and web development bootcamps, focusing on the fundamentals.
For more information on data science resources including costs and reviews, check out our article.
How does Dataquest compare to Pathrise?
Dataquest offers courses for people who are interested in learning how to become a data scientist or people who want to advance their knowledge significantly. At Pathrise, job-seekers should already have a background in the field they are interested in so that they can participate in and fully benefit from our technical workshops, where we provide a more specific curriculum based on what they will see in their interviews.
All of our workshops and sessions at Pathrise are live, as well as recorded, so that job-seekers in our program can review them afterwards and continue learning. Our program is flexible, with only 4 hours of group sessions per week and 1-on-1 sessions that can be scheduled whenever job-seekers need them. In addition, the topics are personalized to work on the skills that people struggle with the most.
Specifically, Pathrise focuses on technical and behavioral interviewing as well as resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building and strengthening, cold email and reverse recruiting lessons, and negotiation templates and guidance. Job-seekers in Pathrise find a job, on average, within 3-5 months of joining the program.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. If you want to work with any of our mentors to get help with your technical and behavioral interviews or with any other aspect of the job search, join Pathrise.