Read this article to learn about The Tech Academy courses, prices, and student reviews!
Updated in 2023
- What does The Tech Academy do?
- Who is The Tech Academy for?
- What does The Tech Academy cost?
- Ratings and reviews of The Tech Academy
- Alternatives to The Tech Academy
- How does The Tech Academy compare to Pathrise?
What does The Tech Academy do?
The Tech Academy is a bootcamp that helps people learn the technical skills necessary to land a job as a (junior) software developer, game developer, mobile app developer, UX/UI designer, or data scientist. They offer 11 bootcamp options online or onsite. Their campuses are in Portland and Salt Lake City.
In the UX/UI bootcamp, students learn full stack web dev as well as design fundamentals. It covers several programming languages and front-end dev best practices. The full-time course takes 15 weeks and the part-time course takes 28 weeks.
Full-time for the data science bootcamp is 16 weeks and part-time is 30 weeks. Students learn the fundamentals of computer science and programming as well as data science. Topics include data visualization, statistical analysis, AI, machine learning, as well as some additional coding languages. Graduates of this program find roles as entry level data scientists or analysts.
The Tech Academy also offers courses, which are shorter and more specific than their bootcamps. Their full course list is available on their website.
Who is The Tech Academy for?
People who have no experience in software engineering, web dev, UX/UI design, or data science but are looking to move into this career path could benefit from The Tech Academy. Their courses teach students the skills needed for most entry level web developer, IT specialist, front-end dev, or data analyst positions.
What does The Tech Academy cost? How much work is involved?
The bootcamps offered by The Tech Academy are differently priced based on the topic. The software developer full-time bootcamp costs $11,660 and part-time costs $14,00. The C#, UX/UI, and Python full-time bootcamps cost $7,950 and part-time cost $9,800. The data science full-time bootcamp costs $8,480 and part-time costs $10,500. Finally, the web developer bootcamp is the least expensive option, with full-time at $4,240 and part-time at $4,900.
Ratings and reviews
There are not many reviews online for The Tech Academy. They are on SwitchUp’s list of best bootcamps. On CourseReport, students were impressed with the course and they felt that they were learning the right skills to land entry level positions in IT or as a developer. Similar to most bootcamps, students should supplement the course with their own research and study. If they do not do this, they might not be ready to land the job they want.
Alternatives to The Tech Academy
As a bootcamp with a focus on software engineering, there are a fair number of alternatives.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Students looking to defer payments until after they get a job could check out Lambda School and Rithm School, which both offer income share agreements (ISAs) to finance the tuition of the bootcamp.
- Similarly, people can check out Galvanize, Fullstack Academy, Byte Academy, Zip Code Wilmington, and Coding Dojo, which have options for full-time immersive and part-time online courses in software engineering and data science.
- Aspiring software engineers and web developers can also consider CodeX Academy, a self-paced coding bootcamp with mentorship opportunities. Learn more about CodeX Academy in our review.
- Another option is Grand Circus, which teaches courses on Java, front-end, and C# .NET. Their campuses are in Michigan, but they also offer online options.
- Likewise, Tech Elevator and Redwood Code Academy are software engineering bootcamps with online and on-campus options.
- Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
- For people with an interest in data science, Metis has part-time introduction courses as well as onsite and online bootcamp options. Learn more about Metis in our review.
- Likewise, 365 Data Science is a low-cost and low commitment option to learn data fundamentals. In the same vein, FourthBrain has part-time, online machine learning courses.
- Current and aspiring data scientists can also consider DataCamp, Dataquest, Promotable, K2 Data Science, and Data Science Dojo. They offer individual courses, as well as in-depth tracks.
- If you prefer in-person classes, check out Magnimind or Principal Analytics Prep, which have full-time and part-time data science courses.
- Coding Temple and RMOTR are Python data science and web development bootcamps, focusing on the fundamentals. Similarly, QuickStart, Codeup, Menon Labs, and Nashville Software School have courses in web dev and data.
- Or, consider Kal Academy, which works with women and underrepresented groups on software engineering, web dev, and data.
- You can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online educational platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- edX is one of the largest online learning platforms. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
- Similarly, there is Coursera, Udemy, and Pluralsight, which provide free and low-cost courses.
- Free online resources, SoloLearn and the Mode tutorials have tracks in SQL, as well as other programming languages.
- You can also check out Bubble no-code bootcamps to learn how to make products without coding. Learn more about Bubble in our review.
How does The Tech Academy compare to Pathrise?
The Tech Academy is a bootcamp with courses for people who are interested in learning the skills needed to become a web developer, designer, or data analyst from scratch. At Pathrise, fellows in our program should already have a background in the field they are interested in so that they can participate in and fully benefit from our technical workshops, where we provide a more specific curriculum based on what they will see in their interviews.
All of our sessions at Pathrise are live, as well as recorded, so that fellows in our program can review them afterwards and continue learning. Our program is flexible, with only 2-4 hours of sessions per week and 1-on-1 sessions that can be scheduled whenever fellows need them. Our curriculum is personalized to work on the specific skills that people struggle with the most.
Specifically, Pathrise focuses on technical and behavioral interviewing as well as resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building and strengthening, cold email and reverse recruiting lessons, and negotiation templates and guidance. Fellows in Pathrise find a job, on average, within 3-5 months of joining the program. The Pathrise income share agreement (ISA) means that fellows don’t pay anything until they are hired and start working at a job they love and we never require upfront payments or deposits.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. If you want to work with any of our mentors to get help with your technical and behavioral interviews or with any other aspect of the job search, join Pathrise.