Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering advisor at Pathrise. I work with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream job.
- What does CodinGame do?
- Who is CodinGame for?
- What does CodinGame cost?
- Ratings and reviews of CodinGame
- Alternatives to CodinGame
- How does CodinGame compare to Pathrise?
What does CodinGame do?
The goal of CodinGame is to help programmers improve their coding skills by solving problems, learning new concepts, and getting inspired by other strong developers. Their challenges are gamified and can be played with multiple people, which gives it the feeling of fun rather than learning. Users can choose to work in any of their 25+ languages and can participate in online contests for prizes.
Users create a profile, which they use to access challenges and contests. They can also set their profiles as open to new opportunities, so employers can find them through the system and approach them about job openings. This program is currently in beta testing. They also have a forum for community members to chat about languages, questions, and share information.
Who is CodinGame for?
For software engineers who have some coding experience and are looking to advance their skills, CodinGame is a good source. The program makes the lessons more fun and offers multiplayer activities, including contests. They also have a connection to Tech.io, which is a knowledge-sharing platform for developers, where users with less experience can learn different languages or programs in a playground. That being said, the challenges are CodinGame are not for beginners as they require some background knowledge before you can participate.
What does CodinGame cost? How much work is involved?
CodinGame is free for users. They just need to sign up with Google, Facebook, GitHub, LinkedIn, or email. When their beta launches with employee review, it might be a good idea for users to include their profile links in their accounts so that companies can get a full view of their background.
Ratings and reviews
Reviews of CodinGame are mixed. Most people agree that it is not for beginners, which can be frustrating for people who don’t have as much experience. In addition, there have been comments that the forum is not very active and it is not organized in a way that is helpful for users who have questions.
They were featured on a list of top coding challenge websites by gitconnected, which is a platform for developers and software engineers to share knowledge, connect, collaborate, and learn. They specifically enjoy the gamification, though other reviews have mentioned that they find the graphics distracting.
Alternatives to CodinGame
There are other websites that compile software engineering questions, similar to CodinGame, but in a more typical question/answer fashion.
- A good option is AlgoExpert, which is a platform where software engineers can practice questions that cover a variety of interview topics. Get 15% off using the promo code: Pathrise. Learn more about AlgoExpert in our review.
- Created by a former Google software engineer, Interview Cake is a study tool that teaches people the right way to think about technical questions so they do well in interviews. Read more about Interview Cake in our review.
- Leetcode is probably the most well known because their questions are more geared towards real work and are often better practice for technical interviews.
- Similarly, people use HackerRank to prepare for technical interviews because it is often the platform that companies use to test their candidates. People also say that the UI is nicer on HackerRank but the questions and content are sometimes less helpful than Leetcode.
- Codesignal is another platform that employers use to assess candidates, but software engineers can also use it to practice technical questions and actually connect with hiring managers by applying to jobs through the challenges.
- Coderbyte offer a mix of free and paid resources and challenges for software engineers looking to practice their skills. Read more about Coderbyte in our review.
- Those looking to participate in mock interviews with software engineers at top tech companies should check out Interviewing.io. Learn more about Interviewing.io in our review.
- Pramp and Gainlo are other resources for software engineers looking for mock interview prep with their peers or anonymous engineers.
- If you are looking for technical questions directly in your email, Daily Coding Problem is a newsletter that sends 1 problem a day and the solutions for those who subscribe.
- You can also check out CodeChef and Edabit for free online communities and platforms to practice software engineering technical questions.
- For people looking to prep with real world problems, CodeKata provides challenges that mimic requests from real tech companies.
We compiled a list of resources to practice software engineer interview questions that you can use to decide the best one for you. You can also check out our list of 93 software engineering interview questions from top tech companies to practice.
How does CodinGame compare to Pathrise?
CodinGame is a good tool for intermediate and advanced software engineers to use to have fun while continuing to keep their skills sharp. The challenges are gamified and the multiplayer access means that users can challenge friends and coworkers. Continuing to advance technical skills is an important part of a software engineer’s job search.
At Pathrise, we are focused on helping our fellows with the entire job search. Continuing to advance technical skills is an important part of a software engineer’s job search, so we recommend that software engineers in the program practice technical questions as much as possible so they can go into their interviews with confidence.
This means there is a good opportunity for people to use CodinGame in conjunction with Pathrise, as CodinGame can help with technical advancement and Pathrise can help with everything else needed to find the best possible job for a software engineer.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and young professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows interview performance scores double.
If you want to work with any of our advisors 1-on-1 to get help with your software engineer interviews or with any other aspect of the job search, become a Pathrise fellow.