Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering mentor at Pathrise. I’ve worked with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream job. Check out my review of CodinGame.
Updated in 2021
- What does CodinGame do?
- Who is CodinGame for?
- What does CodinGame cost?
- Ratings and reviews of CodinGame
- Alternatives to CodinGame
- How does CodinGame compare to Pathrise?
What does CodinGame do?
CodinGame helps programmers improve their coding skills by solving problems and learning new concepts through game-like challenges. These “games” are multi-player, which makes it feel more like fun and less like learning. Users can choose to work in any of their 25+ languages and can participate in online contests for prizes.
To participate, users first create a profile, which they use to access challenges and contests. But, they can also set their profiles as open to new opportunities so that employers can find them through the system and approach them about job openings. They also have a forum for community members to chat about languages, questions, and share information.
Who is CodinGame for?
Software engineers who have some coding experience can level up their skills and have fun while doing it on CodinGame. Users with less experience can learn different languages or programs by practicing the challenges and reading the user solutions. However, it is good to note that CodinGame problems all require some background knowledge.
What does CodinGame cost? How much work is involved?
CodinGame is free for users. They just need to sign up with Google, Facebook, GitHub, LinkedIn, or email. Job-seekers on the platform should probably build up their profile so that companies can get a full view of their background.
Ratings and reviews
CodinGame has positive reviews. They were featured on a list of top coding challenge websites by gitconnected, a platform for developers and software engineers to share knowledge, connect, collaborate, and learn. They specifically enjoy the gamification, though other reviews have mentioned that they find the graphics distracting.
In addition, reviews on G2 from recruiters are very positive. Therefore, software engineers looking for a new job might want to check out the platform as part of their search.
Alternatives to CodinGame
There are other websites that compile software engineering questions, similar to CodinGame, but in a more typical question/answer fashion.
- Created by a former Google software engineer, Interview Cake is a study tool that teaches people the right way to think about technical questions so they do well in interviews. Read more about Interview Cake in our review.
- Coderbyte offer a mix of free and paid resources and challenges for software engineers looking to practice their skills. Read more about Coderbyte in our review.
- Another good option is AlgoExpert, which is a platform that hosts software engineering interview questions on a variety of topics.
- Similarly, Codebasil features questions written by software engineers at top tech companies like Facebook, Apple, and Amazon.
- One of the most well known software engineer interview question sites is Leetcode. Their questions are more geared towards real work, which people find more useful.
- Likewise, people use HackerRank to prepare for technical interviews because it is often the platform that companies use to test their candidates.
- You can also consider Codesignal, which is another platform that employers use to assess candidates. But, software engineers can also use it to practice technical questions and connect with hiring managers.
- Software engineers can use the tracks offered by Educative to brush up on skills or practice for specific-language interviews.
More alternatives to CodinGame
- Those looking to participate in mock interviews with software engineers at top tech companies should check out Interviewing.io. They can even move through hiring processes faster using these interviews. Learn more about Interviewing.io in our review.
- Pramp, Tech Mock Interview, and Gainlo are similar resources for software engineers to do mock interviews with their peers or anonymous engineers.
- If you are looking for technical questions directly in your email, Daily Coding Problem is a newsletter that sends 1 problem a day and the solutions for those who subscribe.
- You can also check out CodeChef and Edabit for free online communities and platforms to practice software engineering technical questions.
- If you want to prep with real world problems, CodeKata provides challenges that mimic requests from real tech companies.
- Similarly, Quastor sends out a daily newsletter with software engineering interview questions. They also have a free online course.
We compiled a list of resources to practice software engineer interview questions that you can use to decide the best one for you. You can also check out our list of 93 software engineering interview questions from top tech companies to practice.
How does CodinGame compare to Pathrise?
CodinGame is a good tool for intermediate and advanced software engineers to have fun while continuing to keep their skills sharp. The challenges are gamified and the multiplayer access means that users can challenge friends and coworkers. Continuing to advance technical skills is an important part of a software engineer’s job search.
At Pathrise, we are focused on helping our fellows with the entire job search. Continuing to advance technical skills is an important part of a software engineer’s job search, so we recommend that software engineers in the program practice technical questions as much as possible so they can go into their interviews with confidence.
This means there is a good opportunity for people to use CodinGame in conjunction with Pathrise, as CodinGame can help with technical advancement and Pathrise can help with everything else needed to find the best possible job for a software engineer.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows interview performance scores double.
If you want to work with any of our mentors 1-on-1 to get help with your software engineer interviews or with any other aspect of the job search, become a Pathrise fellow.