- Groupon is known for their fun and easy-going culture
- The compensation for these roles is average compared to similar companies.
- The company tries to create a good work-life balance
- There have been some complaints about management, but reviews are generally positive.
The interview process for a data scientist at Groupon takes 2-5 weeks in general.
- Stage 1: Phone screen with recruiter
- Stage 2: Phone interview with a senior data scientist
The questions are focused on machine learning theory as well as a technical discussion of previous work experience.
- Stage 3: Onsite interview
The onsite includes 5 in-person interview sessions, about 3.5 hours total. The questions are standard statistics/SQL/programming questions for the data scientist position.
- Q 1: How do you write sqrt function without using sqrt())?
- Q 2: Normal distribution, binomial distribution
- Q 3: Programing (R/Python) and probability/stats questions
- Q 4: You are on a number line and you can jump to one of the neighbor points with equal probability, with the exception of n=0 where you can't go to negative numbers but have to come back to n=1. If you start at n=44, what is the expected number of steps to reach n=4444?
- Q 5: How would you create/design/implement a certain algorithm from start to end?
- Q 6: Tell us about a recent project where you used machine learning techniques.
Groupon's mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce.
To fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through fast-growing small businesses by connecting people to a dynamic, global marketplace for local services, experiences, and goods.
- Chicago: 600 W. Chicago Avenue
- Seattle: 1201 3rd Avenue
- San Francisco: 225 Bush St.
- Palo Alto: 3101 Park Blvd.
- Madrid: Paseo Castellana 79