Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering mentor at Pathrise. I have worked with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream job. Check out my review of Whitetruffle as a tech job search tool.
- What does Whitetruffle do?
- Who is Whitetruffle for?
- What does Whitetruffle cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Whitetruffle
- Alternatives to Whitetruffle
- How does Whitetruffle compare to Pathrise?
What does Whitetruffle do?
Whitetruffle matches job seekers with tech companies to help people land their dream job. Users create a profile and get paired with tech companies for job interviews, saving job seekers time searching job boards or sending cold emails. The platform’s hiring partners include top tech companies like Netflix, Postmates, and Asana.
First, job seekers create a profile detailing their experience and goals. Once the profile is approved, the platform’s machine learning algorithm matches the user with tech companies. After matching, the platform introduces the user’s profile to the company and sends an interview invite if interested. The platform even sends job offers to users, keeping the job search process all in one place from start to finish.
Who is Whitetruffle for?
Whitetruffle can be helpful for people who want to simplify their job search with a single application. Job seekers who want to avoid networking and sending cold emails could also be a good match for the platform’s tech company matching and introductions.
While the platform is designed for software engineers, designers, product managers, and other tech roles, Whitetruffle also matches users with non-tech companies. After filling out an application, a candidate’s profile usually goes live in about 48 hours. If the candidate’s skill set doesn’t match any of the platform’s hiring companies or roles, the candidate can reapply in 30 days.
What does Whitetruffle cost? How much work is involved?
For job seekers, Whitetruffle is free. Companies can post one job listing for free, but to upload multiple listings they have to upgrade to the $660 per month plan.
Ratings and reviews
Whitetruffle has received mostly positive reviews. While most testimonials come from hiring companies, one user on Quora was successfully hired through the platform. They were convinced the experience was “as painless as you can expect the employment search to be” and felt free access made it “fairly convenient, and there’s nothing to lose”. While the user would have preferred a simpler application, he felt getting “matched by companies in a pseudo-anonymous fashion gives you a lot of confidence when you decide you wish to pursue an interview.”
Another Quora user “got hired back in 2012” and said “the overall experience I had was pretty great.” The user appreciated that the “offer I accepted was from Whitetruffle itself” which he found much simpler than the somewhat “archaic” offer process when working with professional recruiters. Many other Quora users reported similar success stories, with one developer convinced that “I surely wouldn’t be where I am today had it not been for them.” A single Quora user was disappointed that “a lot of the automatic matches didn’t make sense to me and I had a few inquiries that died quickly.” However, on the whole, they were satisfied with the experience.
Alternatives to Whitetruffle
If you choose not to join Whitetruffle, there are still a number of alternative career accelerators and job support resources that can help you start a career in tech.
- Triplebyte is a hiring platform for software engineers that streamlines the job search. Like Whitetruffle, companies work directly with Triplebyte and “apply to you”, seeking out candidates. However, Triplebyte requires lengthy technical interviews and exclusively works with software engineers. Learn more about Triplebyte in our review.
- Similarly, Hired uses machine learning algorithms to match candidates to companies. Candidates are also matched with a talent advocate from Hired to help them prepare for interviews.
- The startup Underdog.io connects job-seekers with hiring startups. Currently, their services are only available in San Francisco and New York City.
- People seeking a modern talent agency can check out Free Agency. Although the program is completely remote and largely self-paced, they offer 24/7 support. Their talent has been placed at top tech companies like Facebook and Amazon.
- Aspiring startup workers can check out the career accelerator Praxis. The full 1-year program is designed for young people looking to land an entry-level job at a startup in marketing, ops, sales, or customer success.
- The online interview resources Pramp and Gainlo both pair aspiring software engineers with peers or engineers for mock interviews.
- Similarly, aspiring software engineers seeking mock interview opportunities can check out Interviewing.io. The platform pairs users with FAANG engineers for mock interviews and extensive feedback. Find out if Interviewing.io is right for your career goals in our review.
How does Whitetruffle compare to Pathrise?
Whitetruffle is a free, casual platform that pairs job seekers with companies for interviews. Since Pathrise is a full-service career accelerator that optimizes the job search through 1-on-1 mentoring, our program is a much bigger commitment. Fellows in our program have 2-4 hours of weekly group sessions to master specific technical interview skills. Our full curriculum includes technical training, behavioral interviewing training, resume writing, LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building, reverse recruiting lessons, and negotiation guidance.
Pathrise has already helped 1,000+ people land great tech jobs. We represent candidates, meaning we can help connect them with any tech companies, not just those on a specific platform like Whitetruffle.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 to help them land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, fellows in our program see their interview scores double and their application responses triple. Mentors regularly work with fellows to get a 10-20% increase in compensation from negotiation alone. If you want to work with any of our mentors to land your dream job, become a Pathrise fellow.