Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering advisor at Pathrise. I work with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream job.
- What does W3Schools do?
- Who is W3Schools for?
- What does W3Schools cost?
- Ratings and reviews of W3Schools
- Alternatives to W3Schools
- How does W3Schools compare to Pathrise?
What does W3Schools do?
There is no set curriculum, so users can pick & choose which tutorials and examples to study. Primarily used as a reference material, W3Schools does not provide instruction or access to a community of learners.
Users can also take quizzes and exams to earn a certificate in a language, which they can share on their LinkedIn profile.
Who is W3Schools for?
Those at the beginning of their education in programming can benefit from the tutorials and resources offered by W3Schools. It is a good option for those who are self-motivated, as they do not provide instruction, or for students who are in a different program and looking for additional platforms to practice what they are learning. While intermediate and advanced web developers and even software engineers can benefit from the reference material, they should probably look elsewhere to advance their current skills.
What does W3Schools cost? How much work is involved?
W3SChools is free. While anyone can access their online resources, it is recommended that users create an account with their email address to track their progress.
Ratings and reviews
Online reviews of W3Schools are generally positive, with most users recommending it as a resource for beginners.
Similarly, Trustpilot reviewers felt that W3Schools was a good resource for beginners learning HTML, CSS, and other languages. As one user pointed out, “The information is presented in an easy to learn, engaging way that helps you actually master the skills, as opposed to simply skimming through for what you need and leaving.”
But, some reviewers on a Reddit thread found the information to be outdated and not useful for advanced software engineers. One reviewer said that “they had a lot of bad information on the site” and felt that the interface was “amateurish.” “They still enjoy a high Google rank and new developers visit their site a lot,” explained the reviewer. “But most professionals skip past any W3Schools links.”
Alternatives to W3Schools
If you decide not to use W3Schools to advance your software engineering skills, there are a number of alternatives to help you learn and practice programming languages.
- Those who are interested in online learning platforms can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online educational platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- Similarly, Coursera, Udemy, edX, Treehouse, Ruby Koans, and Pluralsight all have a variety of courses on programming languages and other software engineering topics.
- Another tech educational platform, Codecademy has free and paid courses in software engineering and other topics.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Students can also consider Kenzie Academy, a full-time tech bootcamp that offers in-person and online courses in 2 tracks: software engineering & UX design and front-end engineering. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our review.
- Other options are Lambda School and Altcademy, which offer online bootcamps in software engineering, and for Lambda, other subjects as well.
- Those who are interested in software engineering bootcamps with online and in-person options can check out Actualize, Flatiron School, and App Academy.
How does W3Schools compare to Pathrise?
W3Schools is a useful tool for aspiring web developers and software engineers who are looking to brush up on the basics of a language or for those who are new to coding. However, they do not provide 1-on-1 instruction or job-seeking guidance of any kind.
Pathrise is a full service organization that helps people land the best job possible. Fellows in our program work 1-on-1 with a mentor on every step of the job search process, including resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building, behavioral interview preparation, salary negotiation, and more. We also place a big focus on preparing for technical interviews by providing workshops, 1-on-1 mentoring, and pair programming sessions.
Advancing technical skills is a crucial component of landing a job as a software engineer, so fellows in our program should feel free to use W3Schools, in conjunction with our technical workshops, to deepen their programming knowledge.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows interview scores double.
If you are interested in optimizing your job search by working 1-on-1 with a mentor, become a Pathrise fellow.