Hi, I’m Elle! I work as a product designer at Getaround and as an industry mentor here at Pathrise. I help our fellows land great jobs in product design through technical workshops and 1-on-1s. Check out my review of Eleven Fifty Academy.
- What does Eleven Fifty Academy do?
- Who is Eleven Fifty Academy for?
- What does Eleven Fifty Academy cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Eleven Fifty Academy
- Alternatives to Eleven Fifty Academy
- How does Eleven Fifty Academy compare to Pathrise?
What does Eleven Fifty Academy do?
Eleven Fifty Academy is a tech bootcamp that helps people launch a career as a software engineer, web developer, UX/UI designer, or cybersecurity professional. Students can choose between full-time and part-time options in Indianapolis. In addition, they also offer a live online option.
Students in the software engineering and web dev courses must complete about 15-20 hours of self-paced pre-work before starting the program. The pre-work curriculum features recorded lectures, hands-on assignments, and a Slack channel for support. However, the UX/UI design program has no pre-work.
The 8-week part-time UX/UI design is flexible and self-paced. It requires about 15-25 hours of work per week. The course teaches students to work with HTML, CSS, Adobe Photoshop, Figma, Adobe XD, InVision, and more. Plus, students learn design principles like typography, process, clarity, simplicity, and detectability. The curriculum features online lectures, guest speakers, weekly challenges, and 1-on-1 mentoring. Similarly, the course includes weekly projects to add to students’ portfolios to help them become a UX designer.
Students in the 12-week full-time software engineering course meet Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm. The 24-week part-time software engineering course meets Monday-Wednesday from 6pm to 9pm and Saturdays from 9am to 3:30pm. The curriculum teaches students to work with HTML, CSS, Git, C#, .NET, ASP.NET, and jQuery. In addition, they learn important frameworks for mobile dev, DevOps, data structures, front end, SQL, and more. Students participate in live lectures, hands-on labs, coding projects, quizzes, and discussions.
Free introductory courses are available in software development, web development, UX/UI, and cybersecurity. These free courses allow students to get a taste of their chosen field and decide if the program is right for them.
Moreover, Eleven Fifty Academy also offers career services. All programs include resume building, portfolio reviews, communication practice, industry speakers, and mock interviews. Students also participate in 1-on-1 mentoring sessions with an industry professional.
As of August 2020, all courses are remote due to Covid-19.
Who is Eleven Fifty Academy for?
People with no experience in web development, software engineering, UX/UI design, or cybersecurity who are looking to move into these careers could benefit from the bootcamp. The program is especially helpful for people who are based in Indianapolis.
What does Eleven Fifty Academy cost? How much work is involved?
Tuition for Eleven Fifty Academy depends on the course. Students who enroll in the web dev and software engineering courses pay $13,500. However, tuition for the part-time UX/UI course is $5,000.
They also offer a progressive income share agreement (PISA) of 5% of the graduate’s income. The PISA kicks in when the student earns $42,000 or more. As a non-profit, Eleven Fifty Academy charges no interest. Graduates only pay back the amount of the PISA that funds their education.
In addition, financing is available through Skills Fund and Climb Credit. Rates and repayment plans depend on an applicant’s credit history. Eleven Fifty Academy offers $10,000 scholarships to select unemployed applicants through the CARES act.
The admissions process begins with a written application. Then, candidates participate in a behavioral interview. Finally, select applicants do a technical assessment. While no prior experience is necessary, the assessment score does determine their acceptance.
Ratings and reviews
Eleven Fifty Academy has mostly positive reviews. In fact, they have been listed among CourseReport’s top 30 courses for over 3 years. Graduates praise the program for its dedicated instructors, practical curriculum, and supportive program, but some have mixed feelings about job placement.
Course Report users rank the course 4.66/5 stars. One of the top reviewers praises the beginner-accessible material, commenting “I had zero experience in coding, but after taking the Intro course, I felt confident to pursue coding as a potential career.” The student was also impressed by the supportive staff and environment, saying “the facility is amazing, the hospitality of staff is awesome and the instructors are exceptional.” However, the student only rated job support 3/5 stars.
Another reviewer also valued the positive atmosphere and personalized support, confident that “there’s no way you can’t succeed.” But, the graduate was less impressed by job placement, remarking “the one thing I disliked was that career services didn’t help much after graduation.”
Eleven Fifty Academy is rated 4.7/5 stars on SwitchUp, where students praise the course for its practical and accessible curriculum. One grad felt “the instructors were amazing” and “the content covered was exactly what I needed”, but warns “finding a job was by far the hardest part.” Overall, however, reviewers were extremely satisfied by the tech skills they took away from the program.
Alternatives to Eleven Fifty Academy
If you decide not to enroll in Eleven Fifty Academy, there are a number of alternative bootcamps and courses that can help aspiring web developers, software engineers, UX/UI designers, and cybersecurity professionals land a job in tech.
- The popular Fullstack Academy bootcamp offers part-time and full-time software programs for aspiring software engineers and cybersecurity professionals. Like Eleven Fifty Academy, Fullstack Academy is known for its hands-on approach to learning.
- Another tech bootcamp, Kenzie Academy has full-time remote and in-person courses with tracks in software engineering, and UX design & front-end dev courses. Like Eleven Fifty Academy, Kenzie Academy features a hands-on curriculum with industry mentorship. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our review.
- Likewise, students seeking 1-on-1 mentorship can also check out CodeX Academy, a self-paced coding bootcamp for aspiring full stack developers and software engineers. Like Eleven Fifty Academy, they emphasize personalized student support, and even include internship opportunities. Read more about CodeX Academy in our review.
- The well-known bootcamp General Assembly offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on software engineering, front-end development, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and much more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Aspiring UX/UI designers can consider Designlab, a bootcamp that teaches students all the skills needed to launch a career as a UX designer. Read more about Designlab in our review.
- Similarly, students interested in taking online self-guided or instructor-led product design courses can check out DesignerUp. Learn more about DesignerUp in our review.
- Or, consider Bloc, which is an online program that offers courses in both UX design and web development.
- The popular bootcamps BrainStation, Clarusway, GW Bootcamps, and Lambda School teach courses on web dev and data science as well as more topics.
- Similarly, Holberton School, Thinkful, Redwood Code Academy, and Byte Academy are tech bootcamps with courses in software engineering and data science that offer ISA options.
- Another software engineering bootcamp with an ISA, Rithm School is known for low student-to-teacher ratios. Like Eleven Fifty Academy, Rithm School features small class sizes to provide lots of student support.
- Flatiron School teaches courses on UX design, data analysis, software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity. Students can choose part-time or full-time options, both on-campus or online.
- On the other hand, Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
- Similarly, Coursera is an online learning platform that hosts thousands of online videos in a wide range of tech subjects, including web dev, UX/UI design, and software engineering.
- Aspiring software engineers can check out Udacity and Springboard, two online educational platforms students can use to learn coding basics or sharpen their current tech skills. Both platforms offer courses in software engineering, UX design, data analytics, and more. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- Finally, edX is one of the largest online learning platforms. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
How does Eleven Fifty Academy compare to Pathrise?
Eleven Fifty Academy is a bootcamp for people interested in learning the skills needed for a career as a software engineer, web developer, UX/UI designer, or cybersecurity professional. While an interest in tech is recommended, most Eleven Fifty Academy students start with no prior experience. Pathrise fellows should already have a background in their chosen field to benefit from the technical curriculum.
Our program helps students land a great job in tech by focusing on technical and behavioral interviewing as well as resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building and strengthening, cold email and reverse recruiting lessons, and negotiations.
The Pathrise curriculum is tailored to each fellow. Our program is flexible. There are only 4 hours of workshops per week. Fellows can schedule 1-on-1 mentoring sessions whenever they need support. The Pathrise income share agreement is 9% of their first year’s salary and requires no upfront payments.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that helps students and professionals land their dream job in tech. If you want to work with any of our mentors to get help with your technical and behavioral interviews and optimize your job search, join Pathrise.