Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now industry mentor at Pathrise. I have worked with hundreds of software engineers and web developers to help them land their dream jobs in tech. Check out my review of egghead.
- What does egghead do?
- Who is egghead for?
- What does egghead cost?
- Ratings and reviews of egghead
- Alternatives to egghead
- How does egghead compare to Pathrise?
What does egghead do?
Their courses cover the fundamentals of various frameworks and tools, such as React. They also have more advanced topics, such as web security, common Git mistakes, designing GraphQL schemas, and more. Users learn through short video lessons and code walkthroughs. While they provide access to a community discussion board, egghead does not offer instruction or mentorship.
Who is egghead for?
What does egghead cost? How much work is involved?
egghead uses a subscription-based model and offers 2 options: monthly and yearly. The monthly option costs $40 per month. The annual option costs $350 per year. However, many of the courses are free and do not require a subscription.
To create an account, users can register with their GitHub account or email address. Once they have an account, users can add their payment method (credit card or PayPal) and start learning.
Ratings and reviews
1stWebDesigner praised egghead for their React fundamentals course, noting that “egghead video quality is also exquisite.” Similarly, Linguine Code listed egghead as one of their top 5 resources to get you started with React.
One Medium blogger recommended egghead as a resource for experienced software engineers and web developers interested in learning Redux and React. He highlighted the following egghead courses as especially helpful: “Getting Started with Redux” and “Building React Applications with Idiomatic Redux.”
Echoing this, another Reddit user who discontinued his subscription after 1 month said that “their videos are not as beginner friendly as most other sites” but “on the flip side, if you really need to learn React Native, they are way ahead of anyone else on that. That’s the main thing I used them for. I would subscribe again if I was building a React Native project.”
Another user on the thread advised, “If you’re a complete beginner, you will probably find it a little frustrating because they tend to assume basic working knowledge” of the languages and frameworks.
Alternatives to egghead
If you decide not to use egghead’s exercises, there are a number of alternatives to help learn programming.
- You can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online educational platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- edX is one of the largest online learning platforms. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
- Those who are interested in online learning platforms can also try Coursera and Udemy to learn different programming languages.
- Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
- Or, consider GoRails, which is a resource for Ruby on Rails knowledge.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering as well as data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Similarly, Nashville Software School, Clarusway, and Codeup have courses in full stack web dev and data science.
- SoloLearn, freeCodeCamp, and W3Schools are free online learning tools with tracks in many different languages languages.
- You can also check out Bubble no-code bootcamps to learn how to make products without coding. Learn more about Bubble in our review.
- You can also consider Bloc, which is a tech bootcamp with a track that teaches web dev and design. Alternatively, Coder Foundry, Eleven Fifty Academy, DevPoint Labs, and Austin Coding Academy offer courses in web dev.
- Or, check out Kal Academy, which works with women and underrepresented groups on software engineering, web dev, and data.
- Similarly, Kenzie Academy is a full-time tech bootcamp that offers in-person and online courses in 2 tracks: software engineering & UX design and front-end engineering. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our review.
- With online and in-person options, Actualize, Flatiron School, Nucamp, Turing, and Holberton School offer software engineering bootcamps.
- People looking for self-paced online bootcamps can check out OpenClassrooms.
- Aspiring software engineers and web developers can also consider CodeX Academy, a self-paced coding bootcamp with mentorship opportunities. Learn more about CodeX Academy in our review.
- Merit America is a nonprofit that teaches tech sales and software engineering to people without college degrees.
How does egghead compare to Pathrise?
Pathrise is a full service organization that works with software engineers and web developers on each step of their job search. We place a big focus on preparing for technical interviews by providing workshops, 1-on-1 mentoring, and pair programming sessions. We also assist fellows with resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building, behavioral interview preparation, salary negotiation, and more.
Because advancing technical skills and learning new languages is an important aspect of landing a job as a software engineer or web developer, fellows in our program can use egghead, as well as our technical workshops, to deepen their programming knowledge.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows interview scores double.
If you are interested in optimizing your job search by working 1-on-1 with a mentor, become a Pathrise fellow.