Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now industry mentor at Pathrise. I have worked with hundreds of software engineers to help them land their dream jobs in tech. Check out my review of GoRails.
- What does GoRails do?
- Who is GoRails for?
- What does GoRails cost?
- Ratings and reviews of GoRails
- Alternatives to GoRails
- How does GoRails compare to Pathrise?
What does GoRails do?
GoRails is an online resource that offers episodes (lessons) for developers with some experience programming in Ruby on Rails. Their approach focuses on learning the right strategies to approach problem solving, design, and development. They have hundreds of episodes that teach users new programming techniques through recorded screencasts, code walkthroughs, and more. In addition, they have free guides that help users install and deploy Rails, as well as a list of resources for learning more about Ruby on Rails.
While users can watch many of the episodes for free, they need to pay a subscription fee to access the entire archive of episodes, as well as the community discussion forum, the private Slack community, and the online dashboard, which users can use to keep track of their progress. Those who subscribe also have access to transcripts of each episode so they can review material without watching the videos.
Who is GoRails for?
Software engineers and web developers with some experience programming with Ruby on Rails can benefit from GoRails. The program is especially useful for those who are self-motivated and enjoy connecting with their peers via Slack and online forums, as they do not offer 1-on-1 instruction or mentorship.
What does GoRails cost? How much work is involved?
GoRails uses a subscription-based model and users can choose from 2 options: monthly and annual. The monthly version costs $19 per month, while the annual one costs $190 per year and must be paid in 1 installment. Both options include the same content and benefits. Many of the episodes and resources, however, can be accessed for free.
To register, students must create an account with their email address. After that, they can select their subscription option, payment method, and begin learning.
Ratings and reviews
In general, online reviewers of GoRails praise the online resource as a tool for learning new Ruby on Rails techniques.
Phrase listed GoRails as one of their best resources to learn Ruby on Rails in 2020. Similarly, Feedspot included GoRails on their top 10 YouTube Channels with video tutorials to learn Ruby on Rails. Similarly, a number of users on this Reddit thread said that GoRails was one of the best resources for learning Ruby on Rails.
Users generally recommend GoRails to those with prior experience programming in Ruby on Rails, with one Reddit user noting, “I think GoRails is more aimed at people who already know Rails and are looking for a specific problem and less about a planned learning path. But GoRails is definitely a great resource whenever you are stuck with something or looking for a best practice on a certain topic.”
Another Reddit user praised GoRails for its “nice discussion of some aspects of routing.” On Quora, a senior software engineer felt that GoRails was a useful tool for programmers who have mastered the fundamentals. He points out that the tutorials “will help you stay in shape.”
Alternatives to GoRails
If you decide not to use GoRails, there are a number of alternative online resources and bootcamps that teach Ruby on Rails and other programming languages.
- You can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online educational platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- edX is one of the largest online learning platforms. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
- Those who are interested in online learning platforms can also try Coursera, Udemy, RubyTapas, and egghead to learn Ruby on Rails and other programming languages.
- Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40 per month for more course options and greater support. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering with Ruby on Rails, as well as data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Another option is Grand Circus, which teaches courses on Java, front-end, and C# .NET. Their campuses are in Michigan, but they also offer online options.
- Likewise, Tech Elevator is a software engineering bootcamp with online and on-campus options.
- SoloLearn, freeCodeCamp, and W3Schools are free online learning tools with tracks in Ruby on Rails, as well as other languages.
- Aspiring software engineers and web developers can also consider CodeX Academy, a self-paced coding bootcamp with mentorship opportunities. Learn more about CodeX Academy in our review.
- You can also consider Bloc, a tech bootcamp with a track that teaches Ruby on Rails for web dev.
- For those with design sensibilities, Kenzie Academy is a full-time tech bootcamp that offers in-person and online courses in 2 tracks: software engineering & UX design and front-end engineering. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our review.
- Similarly, Prime Digital Academy has full-time and part-time courses in UX design and software engineering.
- With online and in-person options, Actualize, Flatiron School, Fullstack Academy, Nucamp, Coder Foundry, Code Fellows, Launch Academy, and Holberton School offer software engineering bootcamps that cover programming with Ruby on Rails.
- Merit America is a nonprofit that teaches tech sales and software engineering to people without college degrees.
- You can also check out Bubble no-code bootcamps to learn how to make products without coding. Learn more about Bubble in our review.
- People looking for a self-paced online bootcamp that teaches Ruby on Rails can check out OpenClassrooms.
How does GoRails compare to Pathrise?
GoRails is a useful online resource for experienced software engineers and web developers looking to learn new techniques for programming in Ruby on Rails. While GoRails provides in-depth code walkthroughs and an active discussion board, they do not provide job-seeking resources, 1-on-1 instruction, or mentorship.
Pathrise is a full service organization that helps our fellows land the best job possible. Our mentors have years of experience on both sides of the hiring table and work with our fellows on each step of the job search process. We place a big focus on preparing for technical interviews by providing workshops, 1-on-1 mentoring, and pair programming sessions. In addition, we assist fellows with resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building, behavioral interview preparation, salary negotiation, and more.
Advancing technical skills is a key aspect of landing a job as a software engineer or web developer, so Pathrise fellows can use GoRails, as well as our technical workshops, to deepen their programming knowledge.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows interview performance scores double.
If you are interested in optimizing your job search by working 1-on-1 with a mentor, become a Pathrise fellow.