Hi, I’m Olga! I have years of experience in data science, most recently at eBay. Now, I work as an industry mentor at Pathrise, helping data scientists land a great role through technical workshops and 1-on-1s. Check out my review of Google’s Python Class.
- What does Google’s Python Class do?
- Who is Google’s Python Class for?
- What does Google’s Python Class cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Google’s Python Class
- Alternatives to Google’s Python Class
- How does Google’s Python Class compare to Pathrise?
What does Google’s Python Class do?
Google’s Python Class is a free online course initially created by Google to teach its employees the fundamentals of Python in 2 days. The employees found it helpful, so the company decided to share it publicly. Designed for people with some programming experience, the course covers basic Python concepts such as strings and lists. They also have lessons on more complex topics such as text files, processes, and http connection. Students learn Python through readings, lecture videos, and hands-on coding experiences. They can also check out links to additional resources for furthering their Python skills. The course takes about 16-20 hours to complete.
Who is Google Python’s Class for?
People with some coding experience in another programming language could benefit from Google’s Python Class. Given the short time commitment, it is especially helpful for self starters looking to learn the fundamentals and then practice on their own.
What does Google Python’s Class cost? How much work is involved?
Google Python’s Class is free. The readings and recorded lectures are available without registering. So, students do not need to create an account to access course materials.
Ratings and reviews
In general, online reviewers of Google’s Python Class praise the resource for its well structured curriculum, but suggest that those with no programming experience take a different course.
A Quora user recommended the course to those who are new to Python. They noted that it is a good option to “learn how to write functions and how to debug”. Similarly, one reviewer on Slant said the course is a “good mix of theoretical and practical material for people with little programming experience.” However, he said that “while the course covers the very basics of Python, basic understanding of programming is needed to start learning from Google’s Python Class”. Echoing this, one Reddit user said, “The pace may be too quick if you have little programming experience.”
The course is fairly short and some reviewers on Quora felt that it was not thorough enough. They said, “List comprehensions are covered, but not the related dict comprehensions and generator expressions or indeed the whole concept of lazy evaluation. No mention of sets. Definitely no metaclasses.”
Alternatives to Google Python’s Class
If you decide not to take Google Python’s Class, there are a number of alternatives to help you learn Python.
- You can also check out Udacity and Springboard. These online learning tools can be used to brush up on the basics or advance current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- edX is one of the largest online learning platforms. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
- Similarly, Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40 per month for more course options and greater support. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
- Those interested in online learning platforms can also consider Coursera and Udemy. They are all popular tools that offer courses in Python for a variety of experience levels.
- A good alternative is AlgoExpert, which is a platform where software engineers can practice questions that cover a variety of interview topics.
- Coderbyte hosts an online editor and offers tens of thousands of user solutions. Learn more about Coderbyte in our review.
- Software engineers who are looking to practice their Python skills to solidify what they have learned and practice for technical interviews can also consider using Leetcode and HackerRank.
- Another online learning platform is Codecademy, which offers free and paid courses in Python and other topics.
- For people interested in bootcamps, Lambda School, Flatiron School, BrainStation, and Coding Dojo have offerings in software engineering, data science, and other topics.
- Or, consider Kal Academy, which works with women and underrepresented groups on software engineering, web dev, and data.
- Similarly, Nashville Software School has courses in full stack web dev and data science.
- For people with an interest in data science, Metis has part-time introduction courses as well as onsite and online bootcamp options. Learn more about Metis in our review.
- Free online resources, SoloLearn and the Mode tutorials have tracks in SQL, as well as other programming languages.
- Similarly, 365 Data Science is a low-cost and low commitment option to learn data fundamentals.
- The Data Incubator and NYC Data Science Academy also have data science bootcamps for people with previous experience working in data.
- If you are starting from scratch, you can consider the self-paced course at Data Science Dream Job. Or, check out K2 Data Science, which is a part-time, online program.
- In the same vein, FourthBrain has part-time, online machine learning courses.
- Current and aspiring data scientists can consider DataCamp, Dataquest, Promotable, Divergence Academy, and Data Science Dojo. They offer individual courses, as well as in-depth tracks.
- Similarly, QuickStart, Clarusway, and Zip Code Wilmington have courses in web dev, software engineering, and data science online and onsite.
- People with experience who are looking to do machine learning projects as they look for jobs can consider SharpestMinds.
How does Google Python’s Class compare to Pathrise?
Google Python’s Class is a useful resource for people with previous programming experience who are looking to learn Python from scratch. However, they do not provide access to a class discussion board, instructors, or job-seeking guidance of any kind.
Pathrise is a full service organization that helps people land the best job possible. Our mentors have years of experience on both sides of the hiring table and fellows receive 1-on-1 support every step of the way. Through workshops and personalized sessions, job-seekers learn how to prepare for technical and behavioral interviews, as well as optimize their resume and LinkedIn, build a strong portfolio, send compelling cold emails, negotiate salary, and more.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that works with students and professionals 1-on-1 so they can land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows interview performance scores double.
If you are interested in optimizing your job search by working 1-on-1 with a mentor, become a Pathrise fellow.