Hi, I’m Brian, a former senior software engineer and now software engineering mentor at Pathrise. I have worked with hundreds of job-seekers to optimize their job search and get results like 3x more responses to their applications, 2x higher interview scores, and 10-20% increases in compensation through negotiation alone. Check out this article to learn more about the Mentmento platform, costs, and student reviews.
What does Mentmento do?
Mentmento is a career coaching platform that helps people land their dream job in tech. Their algorithm matches users with experienced mentors for short career coaching sessions. Mentors are independent and sign up for the platform the same way as mentees, allowing them to set their own rates and schedules. Currently, the platform’s independent mentors have experience in software development, web design, product management, and many other tech roles.
First, users sign up for the platform and detail their career goals. Next, they set their budget for a coaching session, ranging from free to $200. The platform then matches the mentee to an experienced mentor for a 30 minute phone call. If the session goes well, the mentor and mentee continue to meet at an agreed upon rate.
Who is Mentmento for?
Aspiring tech workers seeking expert coaching can benefit from Mentmento. The platforms’ flexible scheduling with independent mentors could be a good match for people seeking a more casual approach to career coaching. Students on a budget may appreciate the platform’s flexible pricing as well.
What does Mentmento cost? How much work is involved?
Mentmento offers flexible pricing, meaning users set their own budget and get matched with a mentor in their price range. While the cost of a 30 minute mentoring session ranges from $0 to $200, the average fee is about $50. The platform aims to pair job seekers with a mentor who can continue to offer support long-term. While no prior experience is required, the platform is designed for people with some experience seeking role-specific mentoring.
Ratings and reviews
While Mentmento is still fairly new, so far the platform has received positive reviews. They hold a 5/5 rating on Product Hunt where many users described the platform as “a great idea.” One user loved that the “interface is simple and to the point” with independent mentors and mentees who can set their own schedules. However, the user wished communication was faster, commenting “I was hoping for some email on my mentee or mentor account, but did not receive one.” Another user would have preferred a “list of mentors to know about the mentors”, although they were still impressed with Mentmento. Overall, people seem interested in the flexibility and simplicity of the mentor-matching platform. However, the project is still fairly new and does not offer much user support yet.
Alternatives to Mentmento
If you choose not to join Mentmento, there are a number of other platforms and resources you can use for tech career coaching and interview prep.
- Another coaching platform is Dorm, which pairs users with coaches to help job seekers launch a career they love.
- Job seekers who want to practice for interviews can check out Interviewing.io. Their platform pairs users with FAANG engineers for mock interviews and extensive feedback. Find out if Interviewing.io can help you launch your career in our review.
- Both Pramp and Gainlo pair aspiring software engineers with peers or more experienced engineers for mock interviews.
- The popular technical interview prep platform Leetcode hosts thousands of questions from real tech company interviews. They also host a discussion board with an active community.
- Aspiring software engineers seeking a self-paced technical interview course can check out Skilled.dev. Their course covers both key technical coding concepts and practical interviewing strategies to help users land great software development jobs.
- People who want to sharpen their technical interview skills can check out Coderbyte. Their platform offers over 300 free and paid challenges for software engineers. Read more about Coderbyte in our review.
- Similarly, Codebasil hosts interview questions written by software engineers at top tech companies like Facebook, Apple, and Amazon.
- Learneroo hosts technical interview questions as well. Their program is free to try, though users can upgrade to a paid membership for full access to materials.
- People looking for a more hands-on program with role-specific mentoring can consider Udacity, which hosts both free and paid courses on a wide variety of tech skills. Students in their “nanodegree” programs work with boh technical mentors and career mentors as they build polished portfolio projects. Read more about Udacity in our review.
- Aspiring software developers seeking interview prep can look into Interview Cake. They teach job seekers to ace technical interview problems with strategies and technical tips. Questions include a detailed solution breakdown, a gotcha list of common mistakes, and a “what we learned” section for review. Find out if Interview Cake is right for your interview prep in our review.
How does Mentmento compare to Pathrise?
Mentmento pairs job seekers with mentors for career coaching. While Mentmento’s mentors have technical experience in their role, the flexible platform only matches users and mentors for career coaching. No formal technical training or job search curriculum is included.
While Pathrise also matches job seekers with mentors to help them optimize their job search, our program is full-service and includes personalized guidance each step of the way. Fellows work with expert mentors on resume optimization, portfolios, cold emails and reverse recruiting, behavioral interviews, technical challenges and interviews, negotiation, and more. The mentors in our program are former and current senior team members at top tech companies who have years of experience on both sides of the hiring table. In addition, Pathrise offers an income share agreement (ISA) so fellows pay nothing until they land a job they love and start working.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that has helped 1,000+ students and professionals land their dream job in tech. With our tips and guidance, we’ve seen our fellows double their interview scores and triple their application responses. Usually, fellows land a job in just 3-5 months. If you want to work with any of our mentors to land your dream job faster, join Pathrise.