- What does Galvanize do?
- Who is Galvanize for?
- What does Galvanize cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Galvanize
- Alternatives to Galvanize
- How does Galvanize compare to Pathrise?
What does Galvanize do?
Galvanize is a data science and software engineering bootcamp offering a variety of courses online and at their campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Seattle, and elsewhere. In addition to offering part-time introduction courses to data science and software engineering, Galvanize provides an online prep course for students who want to brush up on their skills before enrolling in the full-time, immersive data science and software engineering courses.
Full-time courses meet Monday-Friday from 9AM-8PM and on Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM for 12 weeks. If that schedule is too demanding, Galvanize offers part-time, remote courses that cover the same material over the course of 36 weeks.
Who is the Galvanize for?
Galvanize is for students with some background in math and programming who are looking to make a career shift into data science or software engineering. Students without the prerequisite background must take a pre-course before beginning, as the curriculum is fast-paced and demanding. Students work upwards of ten hours a day. Because there are only 2 hours of instruction a day, self starters benefit from the Galvanize curriculum.
How much does Galvanize cost? How much work is involved?
The price of the full-time bootcamp is $17,980. You can also finance your education through an income share agreement (ISA) with a deposit of $2,000. Once you are making at least $50k/year, you will pay 10% of your income for up to 48 months. Repayment is capped at $31,465. Galvanize offers full-tuition scholarships. To apply, candidates must submit the scholarship application, which includes essays and a short video recording.
The bootcamps fill up months in advance, so applicants should plan ahead. To apply for the bootcamp, candidates must submit an online application, complete the free online prep course, and take the admissions assessment, which is based on the prep course.
For $250, Galvanize offers its popular premium prep course, which provides 100 hours of instruction time, access to instructors and peers, and help desk support during class hours. Candidates can also check out the mentored prep course, which costs $450, and provides students with individualized support. Mentored prep covers the same material as the premium prep course but at the student’s pace.
Ratings and reviews of Galvanize bootcamp
Galvanize generally receives positive reviews. Reviewers on Switchup said that the curriculum was great for self starters and an “awesome avenue for switching roles.” On CourseReport, many students reviewed the program favorably, though one student reports that the instructors “do not have some of the experience to walk through coding questions without them asking for help themselves.”
One Quora reviewer warns that the program only has “2 hours of instruction a day,” so be prepared to be “doing your own thing.” Reddit users found the program valuable for networking but criticized Galvanize for poor instruction, with one graduate reporting that “the difference between teaching skills is insane.”
Alternatives to Galvanize
Depending on your learning style and quantitative background, Galvanize may not be the right fit. If this is the case, consider one of the alternatives listed below.
- Lambda School offers 9-month bootcamps in data science fundamentals, user design, software engineering, and iOS development.
- For programs focused on data science, consider DataCamp and Dataquest. You can pursue an in depth track or take individual courses to hone a specific skill.
- Coding Temple and RMOTR offer bootcamps in the fundamentals of Python data science and web development.
- If you are looking for projects-based learning, Metis is a data science bootcamp with online and on-campus courses.
- Offering courses ranging from free to $25,000, Coursera probably has a low-cost college course that meets your needs. Many accredited universities partner with Coursera.
- With over 100,000 online video courses, Udemy offers individual classes at a cost of around $10 per class through its online learning platform.
- Udacity provides a great mix of free and paid resources for data scientists and software engineers.
- Need an introductory course or just looking to sharpen some of your skills? Springboard has excellent course offerings in data science as well.
How does Galvanize compare to Pathrise?
The Galvanize data science and software engineering bootcamps are for people with some quantitative experience in the subject who are looking to advance their skills or transition into a new, but somewhat similar, field. At Pathrise, fellows coming into the program should also already have some background in their field because our workshops are based around technical interview training, which requires knowledge of the fundamentals.
Pathrise offers a flexible schedule, the opportunity to interact 1-on-1 with a mentor as needed, and a personalized program aimed at identifying each individual’s strengths and weaknesses. Each week includes just 4 hours of group sessions. The Pathrise income share agreement is 9% of a fellow’s first year salary.
Pathrise helps you accelerate your career by providing 1-on-1 mentoring to maximize your personal background, experiences, and unique skill set. If you are interested in working with a mentor 1-on-1 to optimize your job search, become a Pathrise fellow.