Hi, I’m Sam! I have been a product manager for years. Now I work as an industry mentor for the product, strategy, and operations track at Pathrise. I help people land their dream job through technical training and 1-on-1 mentorship. Check out my review of One Week PM.
- What does One Week PM do?
- Who is One Week PM for?
- What does One Week PM cost?
- Ratings and reviews of One Week PM
- Alternatives to One Week PM
- How does One Week PM compare to Pathrise?
What does One Week PM do?
One Week PM is an online product management course that aims to teach people the fundamental skills they need to become a product manager in just 1 week. Created by Product Manager HQ, the program includes membership to Product Manager HQ’s Slack community and their job support.
Students in the 1-week program get access to 70+ lectures, 6+ hours of content, 5+ downloadable PM templates, and interviews with current product managers. While self-paced, the course is interactive and all students leave the program with polished PM projects. Grads also get a formal certificate from Product Manager HQ.
The curriculum covers the fundamentals of product management and the industry. First, students learn about product management roles and the skills they will need to develop to succeed on the job. The curriculum then covers the product life cycle, the development cycle, product ideation, as well as popular development methodologies. Next, students learn the basics of user research, conduct interviews, write comprehensive product specs, and estimate feature development timelines. The curriculum then focuses on the process of wireframing, prototyping, and usability tests. Students work with product roadmaps, manage product backlog, and even learn marketing fundamentals for their products.
The final day prepares students for PM interviews, equipping them with frameworks to ace popular types of questions. The program walks students through real case studies that people have used to land product management jobs. Video lessons also help students optimize their resumes, create product manager case studies, and ace their interviews. 1-on-1 mentoring is available as a paid add-on. Students also get lifetime access to Product Manager HQ’s 700+ member community Slack with current product managers from top companies like Google, Facebook, and Netflix. Their community also hosts “Ask Me Anything” discussions for live Q&A.
Who is One Week PM for?
People with little to no experience in product management who are looking to start their PM career could benefit from One Week PM. The program is especially helpful for people with full-time jobs who are seeking a short, self-paced course with hands-on activities. While this course is designed for beginners, product managers of all levels can benefit from access to Product Manager HQ’s community Slack, which comes free with the course.
What does One Week PM cost? How much work is involved?
The full self-paced course costs $197. Students can add another week of 1-on-1 mentorship to the 1-week course for a total of $497.
The program is designed to help complete beginners hit the ground running. There is no formal admissions process and no technical experience is required.
Ratings and reviews
Although One Week PM does not have too many reviews, so far the reception has been positive. They are listed among Product Company’s top 10 product management courses in 2021. In addition, the program is on Product Coalition’s top courses to kickstart your product management career. Josh Fechter rated the program 5 stars on his 21 best product management training programs. Some Redditors have also expressed interest. Their website hosts positive testimonials as well.
Alternatives to One Week PM
If you decide not to enroll in One Week PM, there are a number of other resources and bootcamps to help you land a job as a product manager.
- The product management associations Product Gym and Product Talk Academy offer training, job support, and networking opportunities for aspiring product managers. Classes are flexible and include remote options.
- Similarly, Product School teaches full-time and part-time product management courses. They provide weekly mentorship and career support to their students. Like One Week PM, grads get official product management certificates that they can put on their resumes.
- Another popular product management community is Mind the Product. They have over 150,000+ active members who participate in workshops, memberships, and networking events.
- People seeking a more advanced curriculum can check out Product Faculty, a part-time online bootcamp designed as a career accelerator for product managers with 1-3 years of experience. Grads get access to their Slack community, 1-on-1 career mentorship, and advanced product management (APM)(R) certificates that they can add to their resumes.
- Similarly, Blackblot and Product Innovation Educators have PM courses for beginners and more advanced folk.
- The well-known tech bootcamp General Assembly teaches full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics including product management as well as software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, and more. Their program features 19,000 hiring partners, hands-on projects, and a 91.4% job placement rate. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Similarly, BrainStation and allWomen Academy are bootcamps with product management courses as well as courses in many other topics.
- Product Academia offers both full-time and part-time PM courses with formal certificates for grads. Their focus is helping women launch careers as product managers.
- Women, GNC people, and trans people can check out CodeOp, which has courses in web dev, data, and product management.
- Students can also check out Thinkful, which has a 6 month online, part-time course in product management. Their students build PM projects, work 1-on-1 with mentors, and even get access to an income share agreement (ISA) so they pay with their salary after they land a job.
- Another remote bootcamp, GrowthX Academy has courses for people who are interested in product management, UX design, growth marketing, sales, and business development. Their program is self-paced and features 1-on-1 mentoring opportunities.
- The massive online platform edX offers courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT, plus big tech companies like Microsoft. Students can choose to learn the fundamentals or dive deeper into specific topics, like data science and Agile systems for product management. Learn more about edX in our review.
- Students seeking university courses on a budget can also check out Coursera. Their platform hosts free product management courses taught by professors at accredited universities with recorded lectures, hands-on assignments, and community discussion forums similar to One Week PM’s Slack.
- Another low-cost product learning option with mentoring is Udacity. They offer self-paced courses on product strategy, design, and launch. Students in their “nanodegree” programs work with both a technical mentor and a career mentor as they build polished PM projects. Learn more about Udacity in our review.
How does One Week PM compare to Pathrise?
One Week PM is a course for people who want to start a product management career from scratch. Job-seekers in the Pathrise program should already have some background in their chosen field so they can get the most out of our technical interview training.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that has helped 800+ people land their dream job. Fellows work 1-on-1 with mentors on all phases of the job search, including resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building, technical and behavioral interview skills, and much more. The curriculum is tailored to the needs of each fellow.
Our program is flexible with only 2-4 hours of group sessions per week and 1-on-1 sessions that can be scheduled as needed. Fellows in our program get access to a 9% income share agreement (ISA) so they don’t pay until you land a great tech job. We never require deposits or upfront payments.
Pathrise optimizes the job search through 1-on-1 mentoring. Fellows in our program see their interview scores double and their application responses triple. If you want to land your dream job faster, join Pathrise.