Hi, I’m Olga! I have years of experience in data science, most recently at eBay and now I work as an industry mentor at Pathrise, helping data scientists land a great role through technical workshops and 1-on-1s. Check out my review of Data Science Dream Job.
- What does Data Science Dream Job do?
- Who is Data Science Dream Job for?
- What does Data Science Dream Job cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Data Science Dream Job
- Alternatives to Data Science Dream Job
- How does Data Science Dream Job compare to Pathrise?
What does Data Science Dream Job do?
Data Science Dream Job (DSDJ) offers online courses to help aspiring data scientists and data analysts find their dream job. The flagship course teaches students to think like a data scientist, master specific algorithms and data skills, create a portfolio, brand themselves, create a resume, prepare for interviews, and negotiate their salary.
The full DSDJ course includes about 150 hours of material. It is mostly self-paced. Students learn via recorded lectures, optional mentoring calls, and a channel for discussion. The course material includes job-hunting skills, like resume building, LinkedIn profile optimization, portfolio creation, and much more. Students receive weekly feedback on their data science coursework.
Also, DSDJ offers a separate mentoring course with the founder, Kyle McKiou. Students have monthly calls with Kyle to get practical tips on starting a data science career. The mentoring program meets every Saturday at 9:00am PDT for 60 minutes. The course includes short homework assignments, a career-building community, and live Q&A.
Who is Data Science Dream Job for?
Aspiring data scientists with little to no experience would benefit from the courses most. The course is aimed at students eager to land their first job in data science, making it ideal for beginners and entry-level data analysts.
What does Data Science Dream Job cost? How much work is involved?
The full course is available for $2997 or for six payments of $597. The separate mentoring program with Kyle Mckiou costs $99 per month.
Unlike many other data science programs, DSDJ has no interview or selective admission process. Enrollment is open to anyone. Applicants fill out an online form and make an initial payment to join the course.
A money-back job guarantee is available for anyone who doesn’t find a role in data science within 90 days of finishing the course. Students must finish the program in under 365 days to be eligible for the 90-day job guarantee
Ratings and reviews
The reviews online for Data Science Dream Job are mostly positive. They have a 4.96/5 star rating on Course Report, with generally positive reviews on Reddit, YouTube, and Quora. Graduates praise the program for its clear structure, resume support, and practical workshops. Some students were bothered by the price and felt the job search guidance was lacking.
On CourseReport, one student remarked “The course isn’t directly about teaching you data science, but provides adequate enough resources and support that one can be a great data scientist.” Many students praised the program for giving students confidence in their data science abilities, citing practical workshops and technical interview prep.
A Reddit graduate praised the course for its intuitive structure and interview prep, raving “Support is hands down one of the best.” While some users were wary of the price, most students reported being very satisfied with the program.
Quora users were concerned by the data science job market for beginners. One user warned that “there are ZERO entry-level jobs in this space.”
Former students have recorded reviews on YouTube, where they praise the program for helping them break into the data science industry. The consensus seems to be that the course offers practical data science instruction and job-hunting skills, but can be pricey and ultimately is what you make of it.
Alternatives to Data Science Dream Job
- Metis has part-time introduction courses as well as onsite & online bootcamp options. Learn more about Metis in our review.
- The data science resource DataCamp offers over 300 courses on data science subjects. Courses last about 4 hours. DataCamp also has an active community forum similar to DSDJ.
- Similarly, Divergence Academy has part-time and full-time data science courses. Or, you can consider K2 Data Science, which is a part-time, online program.
- edX is one of the largest online learning platforms. They have courses from top universities like Harvard and MIT as well as big tech companies like Microsoft. Learn more about edX in our review.
- You can also check out Udacity and Springboard, which are platforms that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- Students looking for a data science community should check out Kaggle. They offer over 19,000 public datasets and 200,000 public notebooks for anyone interested in contributing to data science projects and building their portfolios.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like data science, software engineering, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- The bootcamp Lambda School offers 9-month courses in data science, software engineering, and iOS development. Students can pay for the program using an income share agreement (ISA).
- Students can also check out Udemy, which offers thousands of affordable video courses. Individual classes cost around $10 each.
- Coding Dojo is a good option for those looking to start a career in data science. Their courses target beginners just like DSDJ, teaching fundamentals and skills needed to land an entry-level job as a data analyst.
- Similarly, 365 Data Science is a low-cost and low commitment option to learn data fundamentals.
- The bootcamps BrainStation, Zip Code Wilmington, and Byte Academy offer programs in data science and other topics. Similarly, QuickStart has courses in web dev and data.
- Women, GNC people, and trans people can check out CodeOp, which has courses in web dev, data, and product management. Or, consider Kal Academy, which works with women and underrepresented groups on software engineering, web dev, and data.
- If you prefer in-person classes, check out Magnimind or Principal Analytics Prep, which have full-time and part-time data science courses.
- In the same vein, FourthBrain has part-time, online machine learning courses.
- Flatiron School teaches courses on data science, as well as software engineering, UX design, and cybersecurity analytics. Students can choose part-time or full-time options, with interactive remote learning opportunities similar to DSDJ.
- Another well-known tech bootcamp, Thinkful has courses in data science, as well as web development and UX/UI design.
- Similarly, Codecademy is one of the most popular coding programs online. They provide free courses on many different programming languages. They also offer membership options ranging from $20 to $40 per month for more course options and greater support. Learn more about Codecademy in our review.
How does Data Science Dream Job compare to Pathrise?
Data Science Dream Job offers courses for aspiring data scientists and data analysts. The program is aimed at those interested in finding their first, entry-level data science job. At Pathrise, job-seekers in our program should already have a background in the field they are interested in so that they can participate in technical workshops, which focus on the types of questions they will see in their online assessments and interviews.
Our program is flexible, with only 4 hours of group sessions per week and 1-on-1 sessions that can be scheduled to accommodate our program fellows. All Pathrise sessions are live as well as recorded, so they can be reviewed at any time.
On average, job-seekers find a job within 3-5 months of joining our program. The program is free until you are hired at a job you love. We never require upfront payments.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that helps students and professionals find their dream job in tech through 1-on-1 mentoring. If you want to work with any of our mentors to ace your technical and behavioral interviews and optimize all aspects of your job search, join Pathrise.