- What does Pluralsight do?
- Who is Pluralsight for?
- What does Pluralsight cost?
- Ratings and reviews of Pluralsight
- Alternatives to Pluralsight
- How does Pluralsight compare to Pathrise?
What does Pluralsight do?
Pluralsight is an online learning platform with courses in software engineering, design, digital marketing, product management, and sales, as well as in-depth tracks in web development, data science, operations, and cyber security. Many companies use Pluralsight to evaluate their employees’ technical skills, so their courses are frequently updated to keep up with the latest trends in tech.
With 5000+ courses, Pluralsight has offerings for people at all levels, from complete beginner to advanced.
The courses, which are self-guided, feature recorded lectures, and skill assessments. Those who complete an in-depth track earn a certificate, which they can add to their LinkedIn profile. Paths take 9-50 hours to complete and are composed of shorter courses. Those who subscribe have access to the entire course library, additional exercise files, email & phone support, the mobile application, and the platform’s discussion board, where users can ask questions and connect with their peers. Otherwise, Pluralsight offers quite a few free courses, but their free offerings change each week.
In addition, Pluralsight offers 1-on-1 mentoring, which allows students to meet with a field expert via video chat once a week for 90 minutes in order to discuss course content and career goals. To speak with a mentor, registered users must pay an additional fee, which is calculated by the minute.
Who is Pluralsight for?
Pluralsight can benefit those interested in learning a new field from scratch, brushing up on the basics or advancing skills. Their courses are especially useful for software engineers, content creators, digital marketers, data scientists, UX designers, and IT/operations professionals.
What does Pluralsight cost? How much work is involved?
Pluralsight uses a subscription-based model. People pay monthly or annually and choose from 2 plans: individual and business. Their personal plan costs $29 per month or $299 for annual billing. Businesses can pay $499 per month to provide access to their employees. To speak with a mentor, registered users pay an additional $1 per minute of support.
To sign up, students create an account with their email address and select their payment plan. While there are no prerequisites, users can take an assessment to determine which courses best match their current abilities.
Ratings and reviews
Online reviews of Pluralsight are generally positive. G2 reviewers from all backgrounds benefited from using the online learning platform. One reviewer emphasized how helpful the program is for keeping up with the latest trends in tech, whether you are looking for a “fresher on fundamentals” or “more advanced courses.”
For example, he said, “I like the ‘What’s new in Java X’ for a quick primer on changes in the Java language.” Another G2 reviewer echoes this, noting that Pluralsight is an “invaluable resource in a quickly changing industry.” Similarly, one Quora user, who recommended the program for those who are new to the industry, said that “the company keeps 99% of their content relevant with the latest standards and archives older courses.”
However, some users disagree and feel that not all courses reflect the latest technology. According to one G2 reviewer, “I dislike that many courses are outdated and that some courses provide tutorials only for one operating system. The technology is evolving very fast and perhaps some younger developers could share insight on some bleeding-edge topics.”
While they generally benefited from the courses, reviewers on Trustpilot were disappointed with the customer service, lack of support, and the poorly organized discussion board. One user reported that they “refuse to cancel [your subscription] even though you’ve sent an email cancellation request.” Another wished that the discussion boards were organized by topics, not “all grouped together.”
On CourseReport, a reviewer that took courses in the development and IT tracks said that although “some courses are outdated,” Pluralsight has “one of the best mobile applications in comparison to other platforms.” One Reddit user, who regularly uses the mobile application feature, said, “I’ll queue sessions up on their mobile app and listen to it while driving to and from work.”
Alternatives to Pluralsight
There are a number of alternative online tech educational tools and bootcamps if you decide not to use Pluralsight.
- You can check out Udacity and Springboard, which are online learning tools that students can use to brush up on the basics or advance their current tech skills. Read more about Udacity and Springboard in our reviews.
- Another option is edX, a nonprofit massive open online course (MOOC) with offerings in data science and computer science, as well as other subjects.
- Those interested in online learning platforms can also check out Udemy, Coursera, and Simplilearn. People can use these popular education tools to develop or advance their current tech skills.
- Codecademy is an online learning tool with free and paid courses in software engineering, web development, and data science.
- One of the most well known bootcamps is General Assembly, which offers full-time, part-time, and 1-day courses on a variety of topics like software engineering, data science, UX design, digital marketing, product management, and more. Read more about General Assembly in our review.
- Similarly, Flatiron School and Lambda School have tracks in software engineering and data science, as well as other subjects.
- Students interested in taking online self-guided or instructor-led product design courses can check out DesignerUp. Learn more about DesignerUp in our review.
- Aspiring designers can also consider Designlab, an online bootcamp that teaches the necessary skills to land a job as a UX designer. Read more about Designlab in our review.
- Hack Reactor, Actualize, and The Software Guild are software engineering bootcamps with online and in-person options.
- If you are looking to learn software engineering and design or front-end development, you can check out Kenzie Academy, a full-time tech bootcamp that offers in-person and online courses. Learn more about Kenzie Academy in our review.
- For people with an interest in data science, Metis has part-time introduction courses as well as onsite and online bootcamp options. Learn more about Metis in our review.
- You can also check out DataCamp and Dataquest, which have individual courses, as well as in-depth tracks.
- GrowthX Academy is an online bootcamp with courses in growth marketing, UX design, and sales and business development. Learn more about GrowthX Academy in our review of the program.
How does Pluralsight compare to Pathrise?
Pluralsight is an online learning platform with courses in a variety of fields, including software engineering, data science, and digital marketing. With classes for complete beginners and advanced users, Pluralsight can benefit people at all levels. While they do not offer career coaching, users can pay an additional fee and receive 1-on-1 mentorship to help them advance their technical skills. However, this guidance is not related to their job search or career advancement.
Pathrise is a full service organization that helps fellows with every component of the job search. Our mentors have years of experience on both sides of the hiring table. Fellows receive 1-on-1 support every step of the way and participate in workshops and personalized sessions that focus on technical and behavioral interviewing, as well as resume and LinkedIn optimization, portfolio building, negotiation, and more.
Our program is flexible, with only 4 hours of group sessions and 1-on-1 sessions that can be scheduled as needed by fellows. The Pathrise income share agreement is 9% of their first year’s salary and we never require upfront payments or deposits.
Pathrise is a career accelerator that helps people land their dream job in tech through 1-on-1 mentorship. If you are interested in optimizing your job search, join Pathrise.